Used Duraplus sections.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi

Aug 2, 2013
New Jersey
Hi folks,
I purchased an Englander 17-VL and will be ready to install it in about a month or so once my basement is finished. I got a through the wall Duraplus kit for a great price earlier this year (the kit they sell at Home Depot when in season) and just needed the chimney sections. Low and behold someone on craigslist was selling 6 sections for $300 so I jumped on it and bought them. I didnt realize until I got home that the insulation on the inside was wet and soaked with water. Not sure if the guy left them outside but they looked good on the outside probably due to the stainless steal finish so I didnt notice it. My mistake for really not looking inside the sections. Do you think these sections are any good now they are water logged? Any hope of just letting them dry out but I do know with fiberglass insulation its a lost cause once it becomes wet. Not sure exactly what type of insulation they are manufactured with but wanted to see if anyone knew.
Thanks,

Stand them on end and let the water drain out. Obviously keep them from the weather during the drying time.
Inspect the inside shell of the piping to make sure its okay.
See how they dry out, you have time. If slight moisture, the first few fires will dry them out fine.
You may get some residual run off out the bottom until they dry out completely. May dry good with some warm days and standing on ends.

Stand them on end and let the water drain out. Obviously keep them from the weather during the drying time.
Inspect the inside shell of the piping to make sure its okay.
See how they dry out, you have time. If slight moisture, the first few fires will dry them out fine.
You may get some residual run off out the bottom until they dry out completely. May dry good with some warm days and standing on ends.

Ok will do. The inside of the shell does look good. 2 of them that are on end did drain out a quite of bit of water. That's actually how I found out they were soaked. I left them in the sun for a couple of days last weekend. I brought them back into the garage during the night but hopefully they will work out. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to hook this stove up.

IN the sun, with that stainless, they should dry out pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.