Used Elite 44

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newengland86

Jul 31, 2020
New England
I have been reading and learning on this forum for a while and have learned a lot from all of you. My wife and I are currently building a new home (3000 square feet +/-) and I recently stumbled across the opportunity to buy a used Xtrordinair Elite 44. We live in New England and want to heat our house using our fireplace if/when wanted. The seller was extremely upfront and honest, explained that a customer bought the stove, barely finished the house before he has to sell and the new owners wanted to convert to gas, so back to the shop it went. It is at best 3 or 4 years old and was only burned for 1 year, the firebricks and grate are all still clean and the serial #/stickers are still visible on the vents. The savings are substantial and was just wondering what your opinions are on buying used.

Also wanted to see if you thought this was the best fit for our house to heat. I have looked at some large free standing inserts however I always go back to the Elite 44 based on recommendations etc. Our house will have a 24 foot tall great room and forced heat so I am hoping I can turn my fan on and blow the hot air around to all the rooms in the house. I am kind of old school with the cast iron stoves and free standing so this would be a first for me. I would love any recommendations or experiences you all have. Thanks.

First verify that it will fit and that clearances are not an issue. If all is well then it should be a nice improvement if in very good condition. Is the seller a wood stove store salesperson? Will the store warrant the stove?

First verify that it will fit and that clearances are not an issue. If all is well then it should be a nice improvement if in very good condition. Is the seller a wood stove store salesperson? Will the store warrant the stove?

We are building the house currently so clearances are not an issue, it seems to be in very good condition. Our idea was to purchase this before our fireplace/walls go in so we can customize and/or do what we want with the fireplace & masonry. The stove is in a store that has a solid reputation/reviews. I am not 100% sure on the warranty but is certainly something I will check on.

If building new, have you looked at alternatives to an insert? It will be quite expensive to build a full masonry fireplace system for an insert and liner. I would also consider a modern EPA Zero Clearance fireplace and maybe even a freestanding stove, depending on what the goal is. Will this be used for 24/7 heating or mostly for extra heat on cold nights and ambiance fires?

We are looking to heat mostly 24/7 or at least nights and weekends. We did look at some free standing stoves, however from what we have been told the Elite 44 would throw more heat?

I even considered a masonry heater, but am not sure as I cant find many masons that have a ton of experience in that area.

A freestanding stove will generate more heat. How much more will depend on the stove design and placement. The other advantage is that if properly located it will heat during power outages if that is an issue in your area.

A good freestanding stove installation will probably be less than half the cost of an insert in a new masonry fireplace. A good ZC installation would be in between in costs, but again if properly placed and gravity vented it could work better in a power outage or with the blower off when desired.

Have the plans been finalized? When do you start construction?

Check out the woodstock soapstone line of stoves, they have the New England look to them, heat really well and are semi local to the area.

Some variation of this would be cheaper/easier/better IMO...
1596400275577.png
Or there is always the "alcove" too...more money though...
1596400514010.png

A freestanding stove will generate more heat. How much more will depend on the stove design and placement. The other advantage is that if properly located it will heat during power outages if that is an issue in your area.

A good freestanding stove installation will probably be less than half the cost of an insert in a new masonry fireplace. A good ZC installation would be in between in costs, but again if properly placed and gravity vented it could work better in a power outage or with the blower off when desired.

Have the plans been finalized? When do you start construction?

No plans are finalized yet we are just starting to clear land so we have several weeks before we will be on to construction. My wife and I really want a masonry chimney so we are starting to look at some free standing stoves as well similar to the alcove picture below. It may not be the cheapest but it does look beautiful.

Some variation of this would be cheaper/easier/better IMO...
View attachment 261977
Or there is always the "alcove" too...more money though...
View attachment 261978

Thanks for the ideas, will the setup in the first picture heat a room with vaulted ceiling similar to a Elite 44? I grew up around free standing stoves so I am pretty familiar with them. My wife and I are actually considering a setup like the alcove in the second picture. Though its not cheap I think the finished product is beautiful, especially with true masonry. The only reason I mention the Elite 44 is several fireplace/stove shops have recommended it as basically a furnace that will throw more heat than pretty much anything else out there.

No plans are finalized yet we are just starting to clear land so we have several weeks before we will be on to construction. My wife and I really want a masonry chimney so we are starting to look at some free standing stoves as well similar to the alcove picture below. It may not be the cheapest but it does look beautiful.
I think you will be happy with that decision. Place it in the middle of the house. Plan on a metal chimney through the roof, even if the hearth and surround are masonry. It will perform and last longer as well as being safer.

If building new, have you looked at alternatives to an insert? It will be quite expensive to build a full masonry fireplace system for an insert and liner. I would also consider a modern EPA Zero Clearance fireplace and maybe even a freestanding stove, depending on what the goal is. Will this be used for 24/7 heating or mostly for extra heat on cold nights and ambiance fires?
The 44 elite is a zero clearance fireplace, not an insert. It’s a monster heater! That’s why the hearth shops are recommending it. Big heat like this takes a sizable wood pile too. It’s an impressive heater though!

The 44 elite is a zero clearance fireplace, not an insert. It’s a monster heater! That’s why the hearth shops are recommending it. Big heat like this takes a sizable wood pile too. It’s an impressive heater though!
Thanks webby, brain fart, I got lazy and kept thinking the Hybrid Large insert.