Used Lowe's Special

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtnbiker727

Feeling the Heat
Mar 11, 2019
PA
I have a Harman P68, which is our primary heat source, but our "back room" is heated by a propane fireplace, which I do not like.

A coworker of mine just bought a house, which has a Summer's Heat 55-shp10l pellet stove ($1,200 new) that was installed in 2009. He doesn't want the stove, but wants to replace it with a new natural gas fireplace. I jokingly (sort of) told him I would give him $100 for the stove, and he did not accept, saying that he could get more than that on a trade.

What is a 10 year old Lowe's special really worth? Would the Harman dealer where he wants to buy his gas fireplace even take it on trade?

Not sure about your area but around here alot of places will take them in on trade if they sell pellet stoves. They will go through them and refurbish them and sell them for about half of new price.. So for the above they would sell refurbished for around 600 so at most they would give about 200 to 300 tops..

I work for a dealer and we would not take it in because we don’t carry parts for it. At the very most we would give them 100 bucks for it just to get the sale and probably throw it in the trash.

Trade him your fireplace for his stove : )
I thought of that, but our fireplace is worth a lot more than his old Lowe's stove.