Used my vernon help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

97 tj 4.0

Nov 12, 2018
Indiana
Have a non ae my vernon that the igniter fell into ash pan and shorted out and is dead no call light but power to board! Is board fried???

There is a fuse in junction box you can check. You can also pull your control box and take it to a dealer to see if they can test it. Or if you know someone that has a mt. Vernon stove to test it in. They are the only stove that uses the yellow label 4 speed control box. I am betting on control box. And remember to always, unplug stove before removing or installing a control box, or you run the risk of toasting it. kap

Not what I wanted to hear! I just bought it used. Previous owner left screw out of igniter. I burned it once and shut it down for night (till I trusted it) next day I checked ash pan for ashes and igniter must have fell into pan when I slid it back in. I turned it the blower came on and then it made an electrical pop in ash pan and went dead. Are eBay ones ok or dealer better? I checked fuses first including the one in control box! Thank you for help!

Ebay should be same as a dealer, as long as you can trust who is selling it on ebay. They have the igniters online also. kap

Thanks again guys!! I have the board out and see no problems, but being electrical looks mean nothing! On the side ov the board is a screwdriver slot for a selecter switch which was set on 1. What is it??

Those are the settings for your stoves feed. 1 is normal. 2 is + 10% fuel, and 3 is -20% fuel. 0 is diagnostic. kap