used stove pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Is it just me or is everyone selling off their pellets stoves cheap this year.. Iv seen a few stoves up for sale lately that were super cheap and in good condition. I was almost tempted to start buying them and sitting on them till winter and then flogging them off for double the price. Would still be a smoking deal for people. The couple of name brands i seen were 500-800 and only a few years old. where new price was 3000-4000.. could have easily sold them for 1000-1500

Interesting... I wonder if heat pumps are eating into pellet stove demand.

Just seen a used harmen 65? i think yesterday $1500 with about another $500 or more in extras included with it..

Or it could be people find oil prices affordable enough to use oil exclusively. Gas prices too. I think if oil prices go up and the economy gets tougher, then people start to look for ways to save.

Gas and electricity is nuts up here... everyone looks for a way out of them. Last year I cut my utilities in 1/2 by running the stove and that was after the price of pellets.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I don't see deals quite like that around here. I did pick up a used Englander PDV for about $200 but it was in need of a good deal of TLC. Still working on it, hope to have it ready to go early October.

If I could have found a nice harman stove for $500 I'd have jumped all over that and let someone else tinker with this Englander.

I think a lot of it is pellet prices are rising and oil for a while was decently affordable. It's creeping back up though. I plan to use my stove to supplement. I need to insulate the block walls in my basement (where the stove will be going) and perhaps put in a vent or two to allow the heat to rise up easier in the spring time.

At any rate, yea I do see them "decently" cheap. But not 3000 + dollar models going for a fraction of the price. It's usually fairly beat up older models that were maybe $1500-$1800 when new.

I may even just go with a wood stove in the long run, but I remain optimistic that my pellet stove will save me money. I also know enough to know that the pellet stove won't keep me from burning my oil furnace. If it cuts my roughly 600 gallon usage in half, I'll be all smiles.

I'd say the exception to that would be heat pump / gas furnace combinations. The heat pump provides heat when the weather is above 35 and the gas kicks in when blow. Here in PA (especially where I live) the winter can be quite harsh. I'm sure we had about two solid months of well below freezing temps. But what I consider "winter" or at least "furnace season" can easily go from October to April.... over half the year. Of that, at least here, "should season" is probably October to mid November and then the tail end of the winter leading into spring would be March into April. For those four months, the heat pump could do you really well. It probably wouldn't be enough on average for November, December, January or Feburary... but good for at least half of the winter here.

I have been thinking about getting a heat pump to augment the pellet stove. Our options for heating are oil, propane and electric. The house has electric baseboards but they are really expensive to run and the house feels cold. A heat pump would work in the winter and summer. And really, there aren't many days in winter when the temps stay under 35 for the whole day. The problem is having a storm knock out the electricity, and that only happened during hurricane Sandy.