Q&A Used Stoves/EPA Compliance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'd like to buy a used stove and I was wondering if there's any way I can tell an EPA-complying stove from a non-EPA stove by looking at it. Any plates or markings thereon? Any years after which any new stoves had to be in compliance?

Answer:

The EPA markings are mostly on hang tags which are discarded after the sale. Most stoves built after 1988 and all built after 1990 are compliant. If you give me the name and model #, I might be able to help.

Just looking at the stove will not tell you if it's EPA, however an experienced stove person could look at the firebox and air entry design to determine if it's modern. You could also assume that many stoves with catalytic converters are relatively clean burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.