Used VC Vigilant, Excellent Condition, All Accessories, No Cracks, value?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stickburner

Dec 27, 2021
Santa Cruz Mountains
Hello All,

I just replaced a VC Vigilant 1977 with a new QuadraFire 5700 and wanted to check on the value of the old VC stove to see if the effort necessary to sell it would be worth it.

The Vigilant was installed in the new home in 1988 and has seen very little burn time over its lifetime. The stove is in excellent working condition, including the damper and chain on the left rear side. The white porcelain handle is completely unchipped. The stove is a nice black color with little to no rust anywhere. There are absolutely no cracks on any internal or external parts and it does not leak any smoke. I have all the accessories including the six (6) wire drying rods with cool touch wound wire handles, two cast iron side shelves with dragons, wire screen and glass and cast iron doors. The stove sits level and works well and has always been kept indoors and well maintained. I have pictures below and can provide any info needed by a potential buyer.

Any opinions or ideas what the 1977 would be worth and a possibly provide a gut feeling if I should put in the effort to sell it?

Other option is for me to haul it to the local landfill or try and find a scrap metal dealer in the area.

Thanks,

PXL_20220221_231809591.jpgPXL_20220221_231825397.jpg PXL_20220328_185449205.jpg

A Vigilant in good operating condition still has value though probably more back east where they are better known and popular. I would guess in the neighborhood of $6-800 in CA, $4-500 for a quick sale.

My guess would be similar in Maine/NH $6-800 It should sell quick as it has the nice options and looks good. If fossil prices stay high bump it up a bit but $1000 is generally the "wall" when it comet to used stoves/ . The big thing is every market is local as its not worth shipping so you are selling to people who want a stove who are willing to drive to pick it up. The big caveat is, can it legally be installed in CA?