Used Woodstock Keystone price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peteloaf

Dec 8, 2014
NH
I'm looking into purchasing a 13 year old Woodstock Keystone stove. The seller is asking $1200 and the stove has the original cat. Additionally, there is a crack in the stone above the door. Woodstock sells it for $20. I was going to see if I could get the stove for what he's asking, less the cost of a new stone and cat; so about $1050. I figure at that point the stove still comes in for half of what they sell for new. Does this sound like a good deal? I really like the Keystone, I don't want to pay for a new one and they aren't that common in the second hand market place.

Welcome to the forums!

Since you live in NH, it would be easy enough to take your new used stove up to the factory for a full refurbish, which is what I'd do if I was buying a somewhat older used model. (I actually bought a REALLY old Fireview for $100 years ago, but it needs major work, so I just run it as an emergency-only smoke dragon to keep pipes from freezing in another house during power outages.)

What I'd suggest is calling Woodstock to ask the ballpark price of a factory checkup and refurbish for that stove, assuming no major problems other than the ones you mention. Then ask them what their typical selling price is for an older factory-refurbished Keystone, on the rare occasion they offer them. Then do the math.

I'm guessing that around $1k is a decent price, not a super bargain but not a rip-off, either. The folks at Woodstock can probably confirm that... they are super to deal with, and appear to be just as helpful to second-hand owners as to new buyers.

I think the price is a tad high. I would say the final price should be around $800. With the stove in perfect condition it would lose about $100 in value a year down to about 30-40% of the original price, add in the crack and the cat and that would be in the neighborhood of $800 if everything else is good.

The price is high. The seller probably paid about $1200 new, 13 years ago. At this age the stove could need a major rebuild, particularly if there is combustor frame warpage.

Thanks everyone,
I think I'm leaning toward new unless this guy want to drop the price significantly.

Thanks everyone,
I think I'm leaning toward new unless this guy want to drop the price significantly.

I bet he will. Even though there is not much supply of used Keystones, there is also not much demand for decade-old, small-firebox stoves selling at over $1k.

Start at $600.

Keep in mind that you are in a position to pick up a new stove at the factory and have no shipping. I realize there will be no shipping on the used one [or, I assume so]. But I bought a Keystone last winter, and the cost of trucking is significant. A few months later, I unexpectedly found myself in Boston, and my wife and I made a trip north to visit both Woodstock and King Arthur Flour. Nice visit to Woodstock, good folks. They have a room set up with all their models, and you can check out the optional colors [of the cast iron parts of the stoves.] Plus, you can tour the assembly area, see them making the stoves, and have any questions answered in person. Just a thought.

If you're in NH...I would try to buy new if it's in your budget. A new one will have all the latest parts, and wont need any work done. Woodstoves require maintenance every once in a while. I just had my Fireview rebuilt (all new internals) after 13 years of use. If you buy new, you'll get to use the tax credit this year, take advantage of the steep sales they have now, and if you go pick it up they'll often knock off an extra 100 since they're offering free shipping. Plus, you'll have a great visit with them and you'll get to pick your stove out of a whole bunch of different ones. No two soapstone stoves look alike, so this is often a nice touch.

Reactions: Tenn Dave
If you are not in a huge rush, you can get on WS's waiting list for a factory refurb and save some $$$.

I lucked out and got my Palladian that way.

With the sale price and tax credits I would have to get a pretty good deal to buy a used one, no way I'd consider $1200 but like someone uptrhread mentioned, find the cost of a refurbish and work backwards from there.

I just had my Fireview rebuilt (all new internals) after 13 years of use.

If you don't mind sharing, about how much did that run?

I had a guy from Woodstock come down and replace the internal combustor pan, bypass frame, bypass lid, stainless combustor scoop, andirons, and every gasket in the stove for I think $330 including his travel time. Tip extra and he sure earned it. Real nice guy he did a great job. Well worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.