Used Woodstock Stove what to look for...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thebearded1

Dec 4, 2018
Southern Maryland
Hello,

It looks like I'm going to look at a Woodstock Palladian stove this week and was wondering what are some good things to look at and check when buying a used stove. The stove was made in 1985. I contacted Woodstock and they do still make the 6" round catalytic combuster for it as well as the rear heat shield. The interior side piece of soapstone is cracked but the exterior piece is not. The gentleman I spoke with at Woodstock said they no longer have the stone for this older stove but that this isn't a big issue since there are 2 layers of stone. He suggested just adding some furnace cement to the crack but said it wasn't absolutely necessary. Any other things to keep my eye out for?

Thanks!

Just an FYI, the Palladian and Keystone take a 7" flue. This is a less common size and more expensive flue system. It's unlikely that parts would be available at the local big box stores. In some circumstances if draft is good a 7" to 6" reduction is allowed for this stove. That said, I've always liked this stove's visual design. It's the only one like it that I know of.

The seller measured it and its 6" I also spoke to Woodstock and they said 1985 is around the time they went from a 6" to 7" flue. It looks like I'm going to have to get a plate to extend my masonry chimney with pipe to make it around 14'. Right now the chimney is only 9' from the thimble to the top.
I really like the look of this stove too! This one is a brown porcelain enamel one.

Nice, they are great looking stoves. I wish I could find me a good deal on an old Woodstock Classic to play with.