Useing the old steam heaters with hot water heat??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie88

May 13, 2011
maine
My friend and i are talking about the old steam radiaters for hot water heat? I dont think they will work that good and if so would you have to hook them up in a way so water would go threw them top to bottom? He seems to think a pipe in bottom one end and out other will work??
Anybody use these for hot water heat??

They do work well.
You need to pressure test them since they can be corroded.
I converted an old steam system to forced hot water in a huge old house. Installed thermostatic valves on each radiator and
used an outdoor reset control to run the system.
Saved a lot of oil and prevented the radiators from overheating smaller rooms.

Radiators were originally used in solid fuel systems and were outputting an even lower temp heat continuously.
Once the old solid fuel systems were converted to oil or gas, they would overheat and underheat as the system fired. An outdoor reset control and
individual radiator thermostats eliminates that problem.

My friend and i are talking about the old steam radiaters for hot water heat? I dont think they will work that good and if so would you have to hook them up in a way so water would go threw them top to bottom? He seems to think a pipe in bottom one end and out other will work??
Anybody use these for hot water heat??
They work great, in the bottom on one side and out the bottom on the other side.

But beware, there are two types of steam radiators. Some have all the sections joined where flow can go across the top. But others are not connected by orifices across the top. The ones without the connections across the top won't work well, if at all.

Google in google images for steam radiators and you can see the two types.

I bought 12 of the Corto style made American Radiator Company. They weigh over 3000 lbs total average price $26/each. I will add them eventually to system.

I just need to stop bleeding money on my system for now......

gg

Wow, that is a great deal!!! I wish I could find some for that price around here! I need four is anyone has some extra ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.