Using a leaf blower as part of your cleaning process, I have questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well I gave it a try today, It seems to work well, I would like to get some sort of hose or something to get the ash to blow in a different direction, No matter which way I spin it it wasn't ideal. I took the side plates off when I was done and it did get most of the ash out but not all. I Did not pull exhaust motor off to check but I think I will still do my normal cleaning at the end of the season. I think I will be able to do it this way instead of tearing stove apart 2 or 3 times a year.

One thing I am not sure how to solve is it was pulling pellets though the auger/Hopper Got quiet a few into the burn pot area.
I did unhook the Vacuum switch.

Reactions: ARC and Washed-Up
I always empty the hopper when I use a leaf blower on mine….found out the same way you did ;)

Reactions: ARC and Joe.G
I get a few pellet in the burn pot also after doing the LBT. But there aren't many since I am not doing a full vacuum (door is ajar). They aren't doing any harm there, so I don't care. If it really bothers you, just scoop them up and put them back in the hopper.

Yes if I had the Burn pot in I could just dump them back in but I had the burn pot itself out. I probably had about 100 Pellets I had to deal with.

Yes if I had the Burn pot in I could just dump them back in but I had the burn pot itself out. I probably had about 100 Pellets I had to deal with.
you removed the burn pot? Did you have an issue that needed fixed?

I tried that method to suck out the ash dust didnt work that good. so I take my stove out on my deck being the sliding door is next to the stove. I put the stove on a furniture dolly open up every door even the fine box cover the cover below the burn pot. when I start blowing it looks like Mt Saint Helens ash discharge. me and my friends were stunned. it took 2 full minutes for the ash to stop. I realize some people cant do that due to placement of the stove but if you can give it a try

Reactions: Joe.G
I used it for a second time today, Should I still Take the stove a part once or twice a year to do a good cleaning? Do i need to pull exhaust motor and clean the fins still?

Thanks

Should I still Take the stove a part once or twice a year to do a good cleaning
I use leaf blower twice a year, once usually in January (mid season) stove starts to burn poorly and venting is 3/4 full of ash and again at the end of the season. End of the season cleaning I take exhaust motor off clean and oil all motors. If convenient use leaf blower as much as you want, every stove is different.

I use leaf blower twice a year, once usually in January (mid season) stove starts to burn poorly and venting is 3/4 full of ash and again at the end of the season. End of the season cleaning I take exhaust motor off clean and oil all motors. If convenient use leaf blower as much as you want, every stove is different.
I thought the bearing were sealed on the motors

I thought the bearing were sealed on the motors
Depends on the manufacturer The Enviro Circulation fan has2 D holes
that you add 1 or 2 drops of good electric motor oil or 3- in-1
The seals on a sealed motor can be removed and oil added but
you will want to learn how on an old bearing so as not to destroy the seal

Reactions: ARC and Joe.G
I used the leaf blower method today for the first time. Our roof has a 12/12 pitch so it's not easy to manually clean the pipe with brushes.
I did this from inside the house not on the roof. I found a scrap piece of rectangular plastic gutter downspout that almost fit into the exhaust port on the inside of the stove of our XXV. Disconnected the pressure switch in the back of the stove.
Removed the ash pan.

I heated the short piece of downspout material with a heat gun until it was soft and forced it into the exhaust port.
Then used an 3" abs fitting and pipe to connect to my Skil leaf blower (530CFM battery powered) .
I taped all the joints with duct tape and added a 1/8" wire about 1.5" from the end of gutter downspout around the perimeter of the downspout pipe. I taped over the wire which created a ridge completely around the downspout so that when I inserted the downspout into the exhaust port the ridge/tape would seal the connection.

I tested the connection with a short burst of the blower and got a small puff of ash which went away when I lifted the downspout connection a little. Ran the blower on high with the turbo mode for maximum pressure for a few minutes until no more ash was exiting the chimney.
No inside ash once I figured out the proper angle for the seal.

My xxv stove has the 6" top vent kit which goes for about 7 feet then connects to an 8" pipe out the roof.
When I clean it manually after burning a ton I don't get a lot of ash about 3 cups of ash total.