Using Bricks to Raise Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jengah

Nov 27, 2015
Shaver Lake
I'm looking to install a Regency I1100 with surround into my existing brick fireplace. The top of the insert is 24" but my opening of the fireplace is 25.75" thus leaving a gap.

Can I put down a course of bricks and put the insert on top of them in order to raise up the insert and surround so it completely covers the opening.

Can I put down a course of bricks and put the insert on top of them in order to raise up the insert and surround so it completely covers the opening.
sure

Jengah- I was thinking the same thing before I installed my new insert recently, and I had about five inches between the top of the stove and the lintel. You need some space above the stove to get in to attach the liner. Maybe you are going to use an attachment system that allows you to go in through the top of the stove? I was either going to put some flagstone on top of the hearth or put some steel casters a frame so that I could roll the insert in and out but I needed every bit of space to work with, so the liner is right on the brick hearth. I'd have (and still might) but a piece of sheet metal on the brick hearth to make sliding it in and out less of a chore (and less of a grind on the bricks!)

so the liner is right on the brick hearth. I'd have (and still might) but a piece of sheet metal on the brick hearth to make sliding it in and out less of a chore (and less of a grind on the bricks!)
Why do you need to slide it in and out? After it is in and hooked up it should stay there.

Why do you need to slide it in and out? After it is in and hooked up it should stay there.
Good point, bholler. I slid it in and out a few times during the install to get the chimney liner hookup right. I hope that is the end of that, but I might get an offset appliance adapter in the future to allow me to have a an inch or two more of stove sticking out into the room, so that we can put a humidifier that isn't hanging off the top quite as much as it is now. Also, the straight appliance adapter is not perfect in the socket (but good enough, I believe) because of the angle of the liner through the flue, and that bothers me more than I would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.