using Metal-Fab Temp Guard 2100 chimney with zc fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wnyburner

Aug 10, 2013
western ny
I stopped at another fireplace dealer looking for a zc fireplace that has a 6" flue. When the dealer asked why 6" I responded that we already have a 6" Class A chimney. When asked which one, I replied Metal-Fab Temp Guard 2100. He stated that it was an all fuel pipe and could be used with their wood burning stoves, but not fireplaces. I thought he meant with their particular fireplaces, but he said none of the zc fireplaces. When I questioned further, his answers just confused me more. Upon returning home, I called Metal-Fab to ask if this chimney could be used with zc fireplaces and was told to follow what the zc fireplace manufacturers recommended. I replied that they state a Class A. He then replied that this pipe was okay.

Earlier tonight I was online at a site where the Osburn Stratford and Flame Monaco are offered. Under their Class A chimney tabs listed available manufacters, Metal-Fab was not listed. However, under Type B vent pipes they have Metal-Fab. It doesn't specify Temp Guard though.

Does anyone here know if I can indeed use the chimney we have with a zc fireplace that calls for a Class A?

Usually a zc fireplace is going to require a larger diameter pipe than 6".

From what I understand, the Flame Monaco, Osburn Stratford, Enerzone 2.5, PE FP30 and Kozy Heat z42 all take a 6" pipe. Please correct me if I am wrong. These are the models from which I have been trying to choose from.

You are correct for what you are looking at. My error, I had the big guys stuck in my mind.

That flue should work fine with a lot of ZC high eff. fireplaces. Some manufacturers might not have tested it with that pipe, therefore you find it in the manual as an approved chimney. Ignore Type B, You will only be interested in class A. Do you have access to more of that pipe? You will likely have to offset with elbows to make the flues line up.

I though the chimney was already installed. If not, then you might get away with no elbows. If you have trusses, it'll be a toss up!

Sorry for the confusion. I used the term chimney where I should have used flue. First we have to select the zc fireplace for purchase, then we'll settle on a plan to prepare for it. We can go either way-- inside or outside for the flue. Depends on the fireplace installation instructions. This is why I am being careful about whether we can use this Temp Guard in place of a Class A. If the answer was/is no, than we'll have to buy new... and may open up our options to other zc models.

Based on the specs. 2100 degree and UL 103HT, sounds like class A pipe to me.

Thanks all for the confirmation. I am kicking myself for not checking this thread last night.

Supreme's Galaxy
I never saw this FP mentioned here in all my research, nor have I heard of it before. I did a quick check and the nearest dealer listed on the manufacturer site I called is no longer a dealer. The other 2 are a couple of hours away and neither answered their phone, being they are closed already. Crap! I ordered another brand last night. I liked the Pacific Energy FP30, but no forced air, I liked the Kozy Heat z42, but no gravity kit. I would have preferred a one door model. This Galaxy has it all. Only minus is, it is a new model and there are no experienced users to refer to. The manufacturer rep was very responsive and helpful, but it appears to be too late for me.

I called the company I ordered from and they already prepared my order for shipping. I have no doubt that this incoming FP will give us the performance we expect, and the company has been good about answering my questions, both online and over the phone. And, obviously they are quick with shipping out orders. I am just frustrated with missing this Galaxy for consideration. I ordered the Flame Monaco. I did not want to pay extra for the upgraded cosmetics of the Enerzone or Osburn. The Enerzone and Osburn do have a c-cast baffle, whereas the Flame is a vermiculite baffle. No biggie there.

Next step is the prep work and building the hearth and (possible) chase. We are still discussing whether to run the flue inside or outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.