Using my old wood stove on the deck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theora55

Hearth Supporter
Mar 8, 2008
Southern Maine
I have a Waterford Fionn that I bought used, and that served me very well for 12 winters. Something happened, it started overfiring badly, and I have a replacement. No one around here would look at repairing it. Before I scrap it, is there a way to use it on a wood deck with a hearth under it to extend use of the deck a bit? I am absurdly fond of it and hate the idea of letting it go.

Might work if you can get it to draft ok on a short pipe. The hearth should meet or exceed stove requirements. Use a screen if the intent is to burn it with the door open.

Last edited:
Reactions: theora55
Should be fine on a patio. Deck?

Using my old wood stove on the deck? Using my old wood stove on the deck?

Not on my wooden deck.
I’d like to avoid a structure fire.

I wouldn’t either

Just curious why there would be an aversion to the wood stove on a wooden deck (assuming proper hearth and clearances to combustibles are 'met or exceeded' as begreen mentioned)? Lots of people put them inside their wooden houses, on wooden...even carpeted floors - and some of that time with less than ideal clearances!

My biggest concern would be sparks getting between boards and lighting leaves etc under the deck.

Just curious why there would be an aversion to the wood stove on a wooden deck (assuming proper hearth and clearances to combustibles are 'met or exceeded' as begreen mentioned)? Lots of people put them inside their wooden houses, on wooden...even carpeted floors - and some of that time with less than ideal clearances!
Right, it may be no riskier than having the stove inside in a “ normal” spot, but I wouldn’t want to be in a spot where I’m talking with an insurance co about my deck wood stove.
At the same time, not everyone thinks like that and life is too short to worry too much.

High temp paint is applied directly to metal for indoor use. When subjected to weather and water, high temp paint requires high temp primer under it.

It’s not going to overfire as much with only a couple pieces of single wall pipe generating less draft than your chimney. A cap with spark screen is necessary on deck. **Use of a flue damper will decrease draft, which decreases the leakage into the stove, controlling it better with the air leak.** This is how antiques that are not air tight are controlled.

Just no.

Also wind gusts blowing onto the fire if doors are open, blowing sparks everywhere.

If it’s such a great idea why are gas grills on a balcony not allowed at many condo and apartment buildings?

If it’s such a great idea why are gas grills on a balcony not allowed at many condo and apartment buildings?

Because the people making the rules are idiots, the only way a gas grill is lighting your deck on fire is if it exploded.

Because the people making the rules are idiots, the only way a gas grill is lighting your deck on fire is if it exploded.
Never saw a grease fire huh?? Too close to the building melting the siding? Gas bottle malfunction? Failed to shut off the grill?

Putting a wood stove on a wooden deck is just plain stupid.

Reactions: stoveliker
Never saw a grease fire huh?? Too close to the building melting the siding? Gas bottle malfunction? Failed to shut off the grill?

Yet there are chimneas, etc. approved for this use. The Solo firepit is approved for wood deck use when the proper stand is used. It's not stupid if done with the same precautions one would employ in one's house. That said, my main concern would be sparks coming from the flue, especially a short one. They could cause all sorts of havoc in a dry environment. We often have summer burn bans due to the extreme fire hazard. In this case, we don't know the deck size. The stove should not be close to the house. So, yes, it is possible, but there are majpr safety measures to consider, such as installing a protective hearth and avoiding fires in certain weather conditions. Without proper precautions, you could literally set your house on fire.

If you burn down your deck with a gas grill you are an idiot too.

You can't seriously be comparing a balcony to a deck....

Yeah I see no real issue with it as long as all clearances and hearth requirements are met. A cap with a spark arrestor screen could address the concerns with sparks out the flue.

The stove probably isn't going to last very long outside but I have used several on our patio.

You can't seriously be comparing a balcony to a deck....
Really?
What is made from wood?
Patio = stone
Deck= wood or ?
Porch = wood or ?
Balcony = I haven’t seen a concrete balcony built in most all residential construction.

Really?
What is made from wood?
Patio = stone
Deck= wood or ?
Porch = wood or ?
Balcony = I haven’t seen a concrete balcony built in most all residential construction.
I guess you've never seen a house with a wood floor inside of it either. Most balconies are not even combustible material, but again, the comparison is absurd. Most decks are close to ground level, and a balcony by definition is very high up. You can't have a fire on a balcony because you can't escape if the fire spreads between the railing and door and you are on the 10th floor of an apartment building or hotel. Most residential homes don't have balconies at all because they have decks instead. Our house actually did come with balconies, but we had to take them down to repair the rest of the house. I certainly would never consider a fire on a tiny balcony or high elevated deck, but a ground level deck is fine and you will find countless homes in the US and abroad with open flame appliances on their decks. Furthermore the primary means of illumination after dark for pretty much all of human history was an open flame fueled by solid or liquid fuels.

Reactions: kborndale
Just like a cast iron or steel chimnia, a stove would last plenty long outside as long as you cover it.