Using Pipe in the House without Brick Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mts176

Sep 4, 2008
Western PA
In my house I have a shoot that looks to have been where the chimney used to be running up the inside of my house.
I can see the light coming in from the pipe cap on the roof from my basement up through this "shoot"
Can I use double walled chimney pipe in this shoot, even though there are no bricks or chimney of any kind?

Thanks

I'm guessing 2 things.... 1 - you mean "chute" and 2 - you probably need to post some photos of things before getting any kind of sound advice...

You are correct, I did mean chute, not sure what I was thinking, maybe it was shoot the people who removed the chimney, and left a huge hole for the cold to infiltrate my house. :)

OK but still - lots of variables here. How tall? Clearances to surrounding framework? What fills the hole on all the old floor/ceiling penetrations?? What would hold the new pipe in place?

The chute is most likely still acting as a chimney to suck the heated basement air out.

Yes, it is totally possible and common to use a wooden chute, or chase, to route your prefabbed metal chimney. The chute needs to be large enough of course.

Might be a cool laundry chute.

Highbeam said:
...Might be a cool laundry chute.

I just pictured myself carrying a bag of dirty laundry up onto the roof to drop it down into the basement. :lol: Rick

Would you please post a video of that Rick?

Backwoods Savage said:
Would you please post a video of that Rick?

No, sorry. I needed to wash the clothes I was wearing, too, so when I got up there I took them all off & tossed them down with the rest. Can't post the video, at least not here. You wouldn't want to see it, anyway. %-P Rick

mts176 said:
In my house I have a shoot that looks to have been where the chimney used to be running up the inside of my house.
I can see the light coming in from the pipe cap on the roof from my basement up through this "shoot"
Can I use double walled chimney pipe in this shoot, even though there are no bricks or chimney of any kind?

Thanks
Edit - reread the post - better answer now
To answer your question, you can if you have enough clearance to combustibles and if you can secure it in place. I first thought you meant double wall smoke pipe, which would of course be silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.