Using pre-existing chimney pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zebra13

Jan 10, 2020
Central Coast Cali
Gents,

The wife and I just purchased a new to us pad that has pre-existing exterior chimney pipes from a pellet stove that was removed and never replaced. The interior side assembly has been removed and the opening sheetrocked. We would like to replace the stove but were told by a dealer that if they did the install (they did the original install), that they would replace the chimney due to likely damage occuring during the disconnection process. The removal/re-install would cost a bit over a grand.

Does this sound legit to you guys? I was going to hook things up myself using the old chimney, but the dealers comments give me pause. What say you? Can the old chimney safely be used again?

Thanks for your replies,
Justin

If it is damaged you may need to replace the damaged pipe
Other than that if it is in good shape use it. Just remember you
will need the same make of pipe top to bottom
(Should have to replace only damaged pipe)

Reactions: Ssyko
Yup what he ^^^ said