USSC 6220 giving me fits.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Iflyrctoo

Nov 7, 2019
Central NY
I am having the problem of my USSC 6220 pellet furnace shutting down with error code 2. This normally means that it's out of fuel. However it is not out of fuel, pellets are feeding fine and the fire is strong and hot now when I get this code. I have so far both jumped the vacuum switch or eliminated it using the C codes. Both to no avail. I have run the diagnostics and found that often when testing immediately right after it shutdowns that the thermostat in the plenum either reads zero or sometimes a negative degree or something out of the realm of possibilities. I replaced that thermostat with a new one, again to no avail. I have seen one zero reading since replacement. The furnace will run anywhere from a 1/2 hour to several hours after startup. This same scenario happened to me 2 years ago and lasted for a couple weeks and then as suddenly as it started, it stopped and has run fine for 2 years. Now the problem has returned. The only thing I can think of now is that the main circuit board may be bad. Ive done resets of the board and cleaned all the connections with contact cleaner. Any other suggestions?

have you tried running the auger with a test cord to the wall outlet? auger may be worn out

have you tried running the auger with a test cord to the wall outlet? auger may be worn out
Auger seems to run fine. Ive run the test that continually runs it and it seems fine. No jams and ive cleaned the hopper completely and vacuumed it and started over with new pellets. I can watch it feed pellets and the fire is going just fine. Everything actually looks perfectly normal , it just suddenly comes up error 2 and shuts down.

Check your low limit switch, i had a stove 2 weeks ago that the terminals were loose on the disc itself replaced and was good. It had a sporadic feed. If that isn’t the issue it may be a board thing.

Check your low limit switch, i had a stove 2 weeks ago that the terminals were loose on the disc itself replaced and was good. It had a sporadic feed. If that isn’t the issue it may be a board thing.
I don't believe the 6220 has a "low limit switch". My understanding is it has 3 thermostats. One for the room temp mounted on the control board itself, one inside the plenum, and one for exhaust gas temp. I suspect the one inside the plenum is the thing giving me trouble but I replaced it and it didn't help. Thats the one I seem to get erroneous readings from anyways.

This would be your low limit switch/thermostat/snap disc. Same item just different nomenclatures. And it may be on the combustion blower housing