Ussc 8500 furnace shuts down with Er 2 (not Err 2)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RussC

Jan 17, 2019
Michigan
This is my 4th year with the furnace, and it has been great until the last few days. It starts up fine, seems to run ok if I leave it on Pr 3 setting. But when I up the setting, or lower it, it may run for another 2 hours, or 6 hours, mostly random timeframes, then goes in to shutdown with Er 2 on the led. Plenty of fuel, cleaned the stove and vent pipe. A text to ussc came back with it being an air flow issue - check hoses, gaskets, clean stove and pipe. I cleaned the silicone hoses, replaced pressure switch, replaced glass gasket, did paper test on door, recleaned stove, removed baffle and ran wire brush behind there, but it still randomly shuts down with Er 2( not Err 2). Is there something else I need to check? Thank you.

SOLVED. For anyone else that may encounter an Er 2 on the 8500. Long process short - The RTD sensor next to the exhaust fan had chunks of carbon on the probe. I cleaned it with Emery cloth and put it back in, then fired the furnace up. We're going on 72 hours with the stove working like a champ! I ordered a new rtd sensor to have on hand.