Vacuum issues but only when fire is on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
St Croix Greenfield (corn burning model). I've cleaned out the system, and when I switch it on (without a fire), it blows well with no vacuum switch error. However, a few minutes after the fire is started, the vacuum error comes on, and refuses to go away. As in, I switch it off and on, but it will no longer start because of the vacuum switch error.

So is there some reason why the vacuum switch will cause issues only when the stove is warm, but not when it is cool? Would replacing the vacuum switch help, or is it likely something else is causing the issue? As far as I can tell the gaskets are in good shape, and it's confusing that there is no vacuum issue detected when there is no fire in the burn pot but only when the fire has been on for several minutes.

Test the vac switch -- jump the 2 wires together run the stove
and see if your problem has disappeared also clean the vac
hose and nipple into the stove Note make sure the wires
you jump do not touch a ground

Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Drunkpoet
Thanks, will try it. What is the worst case if I continuously run the stove with the bypassed vacuum switch?
You will then be defeating an important safety switch
Not a good idea

Reactions: Ssyko
You will then be defeating an important safety switch
Not a good idea
Understood, thanks.
So what I am hearing you say is that if the bypass doesn't cure the error (as in, I still get a vacuum error), then the issue is not with the switch itself, but some other component? Such as wiring to the control box?
And, if the bypass solves the issue (no more errors), then the switch could be defective?

I am still guessing there's no actual vacuum issue, because the error doesn't show up all the time, only when the stove gets warm.

I have been running a P-43 8 years with the switch jumped
Then Sir you are circumventing an important safety device
If the stove causes a house fire and your insurance company
finds that the switch was by-passed you will be chit out of luck
You have just made the list for a Darwin award.

Reactions: Washed-Up and Ssyko