Value? of my Vermont Iron Works Elm extra large

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

W. Oz

Mar 10, 2023
Oregon
This extra large stove has been in my dad's warehouse for decades. He used it to heat the building until the fire department made him stop. Does anyone know its value?

Vermont stove 1.jpg Vermont stove 2.jpg Vermont stove 3.jpg

Our friend from VT should be along fairly quickly.

Paging Mr. Hermit.
@D. Hermit to the front desk for an Elm.

Paging Mr. Hermit.
@D. Hermit to the front desk for an Elm.
Haha thanks for the page guys!

So, as I say alot, these stove values are very area dependent. If you were on the east coast, you could get upwards of 1-2k. Its a very basic no nickel, non cat. But its also a rarer 36” model, which adds a little to the desirability.

Over on your side of the country, if the back isn't cracked, you should be able to get maybe 750-1250. Its tough because you guys are also much stricter about stove installs over there. But there are people who very much want Elms over there anyway, ive had a few reach out to me over the years.

There are some people who would pay to get it shipped back east, but thats a little more legwork on your end getting it safely on a pallet, and most wont pay a ton because of the hassle and cost of shipping. Especially since you can just get a 36” barrel made for $450 and convert any size Elm to a 36” model if you want one bad enough.

Feel free to reach out if you dont get any offers and cant get it to sell locally, I would make an offer in that case.

Reactions: peakbagger
Haha thanks for the page guys!

So, as I say alot, these stove values are very area dependent. If you were on the east coast, you could get upwards of 1-2k. Its a very basic no nickel, non cat. But its also a rarer 36” model, which adds a little to the desirability.

Over on your side of the country, if the back isn't cracked, you should be able to get maybe 750-1250. Its tough because you guys are also much stricter about stove installs over there. But there are people who very much want Elms over there anyway, ive had a few reach out to me over the years.

There are some people who would pay to get it shipped back east, but thats a little more legwork on your end getting it safely on a pallet, and most wont pay a ton because of the hassle and cost of shipping. Especially since you can just get a 36” barrel made for $450 and convert any size Elm to a 36” model if you want one bad enough.

Feel free to reach out if you dont get any offers and cant get it to sell locally, I would make an offer in that case.
Thank you! I had someone yesterday who was very interested, but decided it is too big for her.

Reactions: D. Hermit