Value of Used Tarm Excel 2200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WHOA! I'd have an electric hot water plumbed in already if that is the case. 1.2-1.5 gallons of oil is $4-$6 per day. That's $120-$180 per month! There is NO WAY an electric water heater would cost that much to run.

ac
Careful of saying.. No way. You haven't seen the house.

From the boiler room to the furthest bathroom.. where there is a recirc line back to boiler room that runs on a timer... Is about 85 feet.

I'm sure I had days that were 1 hour. When the boiler starts, it runs for 20 minutes minimum. So call that 3 or 4 starts a day.

My fuel in the boiler is Biodiesel.. which is about 10% less OOMF than #2

But.. the bio is about a buck a gallon, all in.

JP

Careful of saying.. No way. You haven't seen the house.

From the boiler room to the furthest bathroom.. where there is a recirc line back to boiler room that runs on a timer... Is about 85 feet.

I'm sure I had days that were 1 hour. When the boiler starts, it runs for 20 minutes minimum. So call that 3 or 4 starts a day.

My fuel in the boiler is Biodiesel.. which is about 10% less OOMF than #2

But.. the bio is about a buck a gallon, all in.

JP

JP,

I have a similar situation with my hot water. Quite a run to the back bedroom in my expanded ranch. The previous owners put in one of those half-butt recirc setups. It doesn't work.

I didn't realize you were running home brew! That keeps your cost to a reasonable amount.

If that wasn't the case, another option might be some on-demand electric heaters CLOSE to the point of use.

ac

Not that it happens every day, but if there is a power outage, an electric water heater won't work.

Which hour meter did you get? Does it only go down to a tenth of an hour? I guess it doesn't matter much. I'm looking and seeing them, but the 120 vac terminals have to be insulated; a thermostat call for heat would do the trick at 24 vac, and could even be located remotely, like upstairs.

Not that it happens every day, but if there is a power outage, an electric water heater won't work.

Which hour meter did you get? Does it only go down to a tenth of an hour? I guess it doesn't matter much. I'm looking and seeing them, but the 120 vac terminals have to be insulated; a thermostat call for heat would do the trick at 24 vac, and could even be located remotely, like upstairs.

Tenth hour, correct. Terminals.. AH>>>> YEAH! Cause if you didn't and the vibration made the hour meter contact the housing of the burner.. Everyone would scratch their heads wondering why a fuse blew in the zone controls.

Not that I WOULD do that. :)

Wrap some black tape around the terminals. I had an external "clean cut" put in already to help with bio nozzle build up, so I just tapped into that.

JP

I did a lot of winching to get it down the steps, then used a pry bar to get it up on some rollers. Just like they built the pyrimids.

Attachments

• Value of Used Tarm Excel 2200
    HPIM2647.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 237
Any suggestions on how to handle this 1600lb beast?

ac

You can roll it over flat surfaces on pipes. Better yet, rent or borrow a pallet jack and then just wheel it into position. The step will be a challenge, but I bet you can build a small ramp. For fine adjustments once it's in place, a big crow bar slipped under any edge will give you an amazing amount of control.

Value of Used Tarm Excel 2200

I've found that moving heavy things over flat surfaces is usually a lot easier than I expect, especially if you keep it simple and think it out ahead of time.

Good luck.

You can roll it over flat surfaces on pipes. Better yet, rent or borrow a pallet jack and then just wheel it into position. The step will be a challenge, but I bet you can build a small ramp. For fine adjustments once it's in place, a big crow bar slipped under any edge will give you an amazing amount of control.

I've found that moving heavy things over flat surfaces is usually a lot easier than I expect, especially if you keep it simple and think it out ahead of time.

Good luck.

Just about all of that is my plan. My main fear is INTO the trailer at the seller's house. Once I am at my house I have the Kubota L39 to "muscle" it off the trailer and hopefully in through the door onto black pipe rollers. Then the 1 step will be "fun".

ac

I am using one of these:
http://www.dentinstruments.com/smart_logger_meters_energy_electricity_metering.htm

Specifically the MAGlogger.

ac

Have any friends with a tractor & forks? Once on concrete a pallet and pallet jack work wonders. Just sacrifice the pallet with Sawzall for the first fire! Set it on some type of concrete block (paver or cinder) to get the wood door at a comfortable height as you'll be well aquainted with the door after several years, less bending to look and feed the better. Since you have a bulkhead lowering it down with the stairs removed shouldn't be bad at all. You can use a backhoe or a wrecker as a crane to get the job done as well. I used a Cat backhoe (not a compact tractor mind you) to unload my 1200# boiler with ease.

TS

I plan to use my Kubota with forks. She can pick up ~2000lbs pretty well. Should be able to pick it up from the trailer and set it in the door onto moving dollies. I think I can get it on moving dollies high enough to clear the step and transfer to a pallet jack or pipes or something.

The real question is FROM the seller's garage TO the trailer in his driveway.

ac

Believe it or not a "cherry picker" engine hoist may have enough gusto for it. portable too.

Thats how the buyer of my old new yorker unloaded it off my truck, but that is a conventional smoke dragon @600 pounds.

TS

ac

How are you doing with the fuel use measurement?
I looked at some historical bills, and I'm looking at something like 23 gal/mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.