Variable fan speed controls for EKO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodman1

Burning Hunk
Jan 15, 2018
Michigan
My rk2001 controller is starting to act flakey and I am beginning to not trust it. I think this is a fairly common issue and I have read how guys were able to fix them, but I think I want to go another direction. I really only use the controller for an on/off switch, controlling the circulator, and a count down timer for the fans. I run my boiler flat out to charge storage so I can use some pretty simple mechanical controls. I'm thinking aquastat for controlling the circulator, a timer for turning off fans, and a high limit safety switch to kill the power to the fans in case of an overheat situation. What I don't know is how can I control the fan speed? Would a simple dimmer switch work? I generally slow my fans down after an hour or so into the burn. Thanks for any ideas

If you're running the boiler flat-out today isn't your fan varying in speed pretty substantially when temps are pushing max? I would think that without some level of active control of the fan you'd be constantly in an overheat situation.

Aside from that I'd think a fan control would work. I think it's more of a rheostat than a dimmer...but I'm not an electrician.

If you're running the boiler flat-out today isn't your fan varying in speed pretty substantially when temps are pushing max? I would think that without some level of active control of the fan you'd be constantly in an overheat situation.

Aside from that I'd think a fan control would work. I think it's more of a rheostat than a dimmer...but I'm not an electrician.

My 1000 gallon storage stratifies pretty well so with a 20 degree rise the boiler stays at 160 until the bottom of the tank hits that, and then goes up to 180. At that point the burn is about done.