Varying speed on my buck insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pete c 06029

Dec 28, 2020
Ellington, Ct
I have owned this insert, I believe it is the 27000 for the better part of 20 years. Replaced the motor, fan and controller about 10 years ago.

It works well, but I do have the fan rattle that seems to be a regular problem with these.

Is it possible to wire a speed control inline on the existing power cord? I am hoping this will allow me to slow the fan sufficiently to get rid of the rattle while still providing heat.

Here is one I found on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B07W4T5LBH

Not sure that is ok. If I recall correctly the fan has 2 or 3 motor windings for the speed control. The fan is on the back of the stove so it would be hard to know if it was overheating. Typically this issue is either with the fan being dirty and out of blance or the mounting getting loose. It might be better to address those issues first.

Reactions: fbelec
I will pull the insert out and check the motor, but I don't believe that is the issue.
Is the insert hooked to a liner? The last one we did I closed off the hole in the back and tucked a small squirrel cage in the side. It works pretty well and can be serviced

Have you oiled the motor over the years?