Vastly different results from same pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bkins

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I am somewhat confused with what seems like vastly different results for the same pellet brand. There is a thread going about Natures Heat pellets. I posted my experience with them while a number of others are saying they are junk. Why such a big difference? The old Penningtons should be out of the system by now. Unless people selling pellets, other then Natures Heat, are just bad mouthing their competitors.

It makes it hard to get any real information about pellets when the opinions are so different.

Any thoughts?

I know this is why jay is trying to compare different pellets brands to get the stove differences out of the equation. Thanks jay.

Bkins

Some of the issues are with the fiber. Inconsistent through out the batches. The batch you get may be great. Another may get an iffy batch. But some is also on our end, The stoves themselves and how the operator sets the burn. I have even seen 2 of the same stoves burn the pellets in different ways. In the same house with the same owner. Just different vent setup.

I bragged about several good brands of pellets and have had others tell me I am full of fudge. But they burn awesome for me so I am sticking with them. My testing is to show the heat values, I added the ash content after the fact but it should be measured to accurately see there differences. Don't guess at the ash content you really have to measure it!

Find out what burns good for you and run with it. If some one says there junk, Ignore them. Go with what you know. Hey I may say that pellet X burns awesome and you may buy it and its not what your stove likes or it doesn't produce the heat you want.(that's why I put in the disclaimer-had to protect my ash too! :) )

Have fun with the pellets.
jay

They always say to each their own.
I've burn softwood pellet for two years and hardwood before.
I prefer the softwood. Nice heat good smell.

jtakeman said:
Inconsistent through out the batches. The batch you get may be great. Another may get an iffy batch......Find out what burns good for you and run with it. If some one says there junk, Ignore them. Go with what you know......

I agree w/ Jay 100%. Burn what you KNOW works well in YOUR stove. There are no 2 install/stove situations the same.....NONE.
Get a few bags of different pellets & test burn, or burn what you have had success with in the past (remembering what Jay mentioned about differing batches from same manufacturer).

About the only time I, myself, would ignore my own advice would be about a pellet that has had virtually NO negative reports. Okies, Rocky Mtn, Barefoot, etc come to mind, but not everyone can get them.

I think a lot of it has to do with the stove. There are many different brands out there some with more adjustments for burning than others. Also if the pellet companies are buying their sawdust from wherever they can get it their pellets may be different from batch to batch.

macman said:
About the only time I, myself, would ignore my own advice would be about a pellet that has had NO negative reports. Okies, Rocky Mtn, Barefoot, etc come to mind, but not everyone can get them......

I agree with macman 100% :) This is a very good point. If there are 85 yeahs and 15 nays. Probably a darn good pellet. If you get a 50/50 mix. Proceed with cation and try a few before the commitment of a large purchase!

macman said:
jtakeman said:
Inconsistent through out the batches. The batch you get may be great. Another may get an iffy batch......Find out what burns good for you and run with it. If some one says there junk, Ignore them. Go with what you know......

I agree w/ Jay 100%. Burn what you KNOW works well in YOUR stove. There are no 2 install/stove situations the same.....NONE.
Get a few bags of different pellets & test burn, or burn what you have had success with in the past (remembering what Jay mentioned about differing batches from same manufacturer).

About the only time I, myself, would ignore my own advice would be about a pellet that has had virtually NO negative reports. Okies, Rocky Mtn, Barefoot, etc come to mind, but not everyone can get them.

My problem is I want to try the Okies but can't get them in my area, or any area within reason. In order to get them I will most probably have to buy them by the truckload and try to sell the rest of what I can't store. I don't want to gamble on a $5 to $7,000 investment. I'm screwed if that happens. I don't think it will but you know like some people have negative stuff to say about most anything.

Bkins

Bkins said:
macman said:
jtakeman said:

My problem is I want to try the Okies but can't get them in my area, or any area within reason. In order to get them I will most probably have to buy them by the truckload and try to sell the rest of what I can't store. I don't want to gamble on a $5 to $7,000 investment. I'm screwed if that happens. I don't think it will but you know like some people have negative stuff to say about most anything.

Bkins

Bkins,

I have heard BJ's is selling Okies. Got a BJ's near you? Give them a call.

I have now burned 18 bags of the Penningtons this year. They burn nice but do not give as much heat as the Somersets or the Rocky Mountains that I was comparing them to. Low as and very few fines whis is a selling point to me. Some of the pellets reached two inches in length and created a bridge at five different times. Some bags had longer pellets than the others but were all from the same batch. At the price of the Penningtons ($3.87/bag) compared to the Somersets and Rocky Mountains ($4.25/bag) I would consider it a wash.

As mentioned many times before I also think that the different type of stove has more to do with results than the pellets.

Bkins said:
macman said:

Bkins

That's quite a gamble with not a great payoff. The Okanagans work very well for me and maybe you want to find a way to get a few bags and try them. But they would have to be the best pellets ever made and so much better than all others that you would enjoy them a lot AND be able to sell them at break even or small profit. Probably not even super-dealer BTU would encourage you to to go that far in one giant step!

Bkins said:
I am somewhat confused with what seems like vastly different results for the same pellet brand. There is a thread going about Natures Heat pellets. I posted my experience with them while a number of others are saying they are junk. Why such a big difference? The old Penningtons should be out of the system by now. Unless people selling pellets, other then Natures Heat, are just bad mouthing their competitors.

It makes it hard to get any real information about pellets when the opinions are so different.

Any thoughts?

I know this is why jay is trying to compare different pellets brands to get the stove differences out of the equation. Thanks jay.

Bkins

I don't think there is any definite answer to your questions. As others have pointed out, stoves vary, the fiber raw material varies, production varies and probably a lot more stuff. My goal is to hit a balance of stove, good quality and price. There are three or four pellet brands I can get in my area that work well so far. (And there is always a wild card. I could be on this forum next week asking for hardware help, no matter what I've learned about pellets.)

jtakeman said:
Bkins said:
macman said:
jtakeman said:

Bkins

Bkins,

I have heard BJ's is selling Okies. Got a BJ's near you? Give them a call.

Already called the 3 BJ's that are within a reasonable distance. They don't carry pellets period. I know buying a truckload of pellets without trying them first is insane. Just shows you how my mind is operating at the moment. BTU pretty much told me I would love them and that he would do what he could to make something happen.

I have good friends that are planning a trip to the Boston area. Maybe I could twist their are into bringing back a few bags. Just heard about their trip last night. The gears are in motion.

I didn't think before getting the stoves that there were as many variables involved with pellets and stove operation. I can very much understand why some people get out of a pellet stove after a very short time.

Bkins

Status
Not open for further replies.