VC 2190 users... I need your input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I thinking on picking up a second stove (for my finished basement). I am a bit familiar with the 2190 since a friend of mine has one and I have used the stove many times. Super performer!

Here is my situation: This guy is selling a 2190 (16 yrs old) for $1000 but is willing to go down on price. He is selling it because it is too small for his farmhouse (don't like that...overfire comes to mind!!). He claims that he runs two stoves in the house & goes through 2.5-3.5 cords per season.

What should I look for in this stove in terms of problems. I plan to see the stove twice..once when it's cold so I can attempt to inspect the cat & refactory, then when it's running.

How do you remove the cat on this unit I do not believe it is that simple!

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Diabel said:
Woodford said:
Here's the owners manual for it. It shows how to remove the cat.
http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/Definat Encore_2190.pdf

Thanks.

So can I inspect the cat by removing the hood only?

You need to remove the hood, the clips for the fireback, and drop the lower fireback down. Look for warpage on the hood, lower fireback and the upper fireback (damper assembly). Alot of these older Cat encores you come across are overfired. Any cracks or noticable warping would be a good sign. Also, if any of the cast is red on any of these parts, its a good sign this stove was burned too hot.

IMO, that's entirely too much for a 16 year old stove. I'd keep my eyes open for something newer or less expensive personally. Too many cast pieces that could be warped or need replacement in a stove that old and really and truly it could almost be time for a complete seam cement rebuild which certainly makes the stove worth less than 1000 clams.

Yeah, 1000 that is too much...500 maybe then still it might need total rebuild as Corie indicated. With 500 I might insult his ego though!

We just last week sold a Encore full rebuilt top to bottom with a 1 year warranty for around $1000 clams. Thats with all new parts cement and paint.

STOVEGUY11 said:
We just last week sold a Encore full rebuilt top to bottom with a 1 year warranty for around $1000 clams. Thats with all new parts cement and paint.

Thanks StoveGuy & Corie, you just helped me with my decision I will keep looking. I should expand my horizons a bit I know (it's a basement set up) but I do have a soft spot for these VC stoves!

Status
Not open for further replies.