VC back draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cord

Jun 5, 2006
I'm burning a VC Resolute at a low level with the converter on. Flue temps were just over 200 degrees. I heard a "whoomp" sound and thought it was the converter door tripping open. I looked at the handle and it was still engaged. Hmm. While I was watching, I heard the "whooooomp" sound again. This time the sound was longer and smoke billowed out of the door, air door and lid. 30 seconds later it happened a third time. I tripped the converter off and could hear the wood start crackling and it whoomped one more time. I'm guessing it was a back draft (deflagration) because of the low temperature smoke igniting. Anybody experience this before?

It just did it a fourth time with the converter off. It's not wind, they're pretty gentle at maybe 5 mph.

sounds like you have your primary air to low. the 200 degree temp reading is that on double pipe or single pipe? if it is one the stove it's way to low

if it keeps running that way (to low) you are going to creosote up everything