VC Defiant (1610) NC 12 hour burn time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowski

Hearth Supporter
Well... I did it!!

But only once...

I need do it more times, consecutive, and with different wood. Then I'll be almost perfect.

Details:

Had some coals this morning. Put on some small rounds 2". Got them caught with a cracked ash door for less than a minute. Closed ash door. Left the front door cracked for 5 minutes. Put on 2 medium pieces. Left the front door cracked for 10 minutes. Then filled stove to top. It wasn't packed full but it was full had to arrange last piece to get griddle to shut. Left the front door open for 5 minutes. Closed front door with primary open for 5 minutes. Closed damper left primary open for 5 minutes. Closed primary all the way. Temps when damper was shut were 450* on griddle and 475* on flue collar adapter. In the pm the griddle was 250* and the collar adapter 175* and plenty of coals to restart. The house was 74* when damper was shut in the am. This pm house was 72* 12 hours later. Outside temp was 18* in am. Temps during the day warmed up to 30*. It was a breezy day with snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain, sleet, sleet mixed with snow. It was in that order. There was no other heat on in the house wood only. The stove is in the basement (960sq ft) Upstairs is 960sq ft with cathedral in the center. The wood used was 60% ash and 40% rock maple. The ash is seasoned to dry. The maple is seasoned. The everburn rumbled a little the stopped. I wasn't home so I presume the rumble didn't come back.

I have several 8 to 9 hour burns. A few 9 to 10 hour burns. Many 6 to 7 hour burns. My "burn time" is from when I close the damper to when I go to reload (empty reload).

My next step is to keep a more consistent everburn. I'm not to concerned with creosote. I have a very short pipe to my masonry and my clean out is the the basement. The short stove pipe get up to 500* to 600* external temp once a day. My clean out gets inspected daily for creosote build up and color change in the flue. I do want to get the stove to run as clean as possible while also being able control the output temp and conserve wood.

Most of the frustration I had in the beginning were do to the fact that I was trying to perfect to many things at once. I still have away to go its better than it was!

I would like to thank everyone again for all the information and support.

Derek

Well Rowski its always good to hear from a crusader that has finally found stove nirvana.

It seems whenever I’m almost inclined to consider a cat, now the pipe dream is the BlazeKing, I see a post like this. …. ‘do this for 5 min, that for 10min and 5 minutes later…’

That’s more time than I want to spend mating. I’m used to just throwing in some wood and closing the door and that’s that. Well thanks for the insight on running a cat…guess I’ll just resume the hunt for a big box stove.

Congrats! 12hr s/b standard with that big boy. Than again everyone has a different definition of a "burn time".

savageactor7 said:
Well Rowski its always good to hear from a crusader that has finally found stove nirvana.

It seems whenever I’m almost inclined to consider a cat, now the pipe dream is the BlazeKing, I see a post like this. …. ‘do this for 5 min, that for 10min and 5 minutes later…’

That’s more time than I want to spend mating. I’m used to just throwing in some wood and closing the door and that’s that. Well thanks for the insight on running a cat…guess I’ll just resume the hunt for a big box stove.

Take another look at the title. He burns the non cat stove!

CZARCAR said:
burn time is related to outdoor temp. duh

This couldn't be more right!

Todd said:
savageactor7 said:

Take another look at the title. He burns the non cat stove!
LOL!!!

Today had another 12hr burn. Primary air was literally a hair open. Had just barely enough coals to restart with some super dry kindling.

I do know ambient temps play a role in burn times along with many other variables.

Today it was mid teens with a good north western breeze.

The temp in the house (1900sqft) was ~70* when we came home.

I know these stoves are rated for this length of burn time. My reasons for posting my results are to help frustrated or newbie Everburn users have some hope. It seems there is are quite a few issues with the everburn system. When I first got my stove and began reading the Everburn posts, I really got frustrated.

I would really like to see the stove working with some dry Beach or Rock Maple. That will have to wait till next year.

Prost :)

Derek

Congratulations on achieving a 12 hour burn. It's quite a boost to the morale when something goes the way you want it to. Forgive me for stirring your coals (as another poster put it) but you mentioned in your first post that your everburn stalled (the rumble stopping) and that you aren't worried about creosote. The issue many of us have been having with the stove has not been burn times, but achieving a consistent, clean everburn. I know that when the rumble stops before most of the load has coaled, it means the everburn has stalled and the chimney is smoking.

We have been achieving everburn, and keeping it much more consistently these days, and usually have a solid coal bed (enough to re-engage the everburn) after 9 or so hours and it's usually 67-71* after that time. It still gives me a bit of a hassle, but I handle it much better now. Plus, it's been over a month and a half since our furnace kicked on - not much wood, but plenty of LP saved up for next year!

Keep up those lengthy burns, and best of luck achieving a consistent everburn.

Ash is your friend for long burns ;-)

Forgive me for stirring your coals (as another poster put it) but you mentioned in your first post that your everburn stalled (the rumble stopping) and that you aren’t worried about creosote. The issue many of us have been having with the stove has not been burn times, but achieving a consistent, clean everburn. I know that when the rumble stops before most of the load has coaled, it means the everburn has stalled and the chimney is smoking.

I am able to monitor my creosote very closely. I also may be wrong in my thinking. I have a very short pipe run to my masonry clay lined flue. I have a clean out door behind my stove. Also I get the stove pipe thermo to at least 500-600* (external) daily. I do know the whole point of the EPA stove is to get clean burning. I do what to achieve the clean burning but right know I'm still learning the stove, one step at a time. I do get rumbling just can't verify how long everytime. I can tell if my burns were clean by how dirty the glass is. Tonight I've had a very strong rumble for 3 hrs and still going but its also -10*f.

The glass will get dirty if you damper it down too fast, even with the rumble going. My experience.

Good one, I meant ashes. Allow for a good 3-4 day of ash build-up & you will be able to restart easily after 12hrs. Of course at such point there is no heat coming from the stove....200 griddle top at most.

creasote will start at the coolies point of the chimeny not at your clean out most likly at the top of your chiminy If you getting creasote at your clean out it could be why to late
Im new so I try to learn all I can
I just cleaned my chimney and i had nothing at the bottom it was all at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.