VC Defiant - catalyst lever goes wrong way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
My kids were downstairs unsupervised and had an "oops dad" moment. The lever for the VC Defiant now goes the wrong way.

It used to go from the rear, down, and to the front with obvious engagement of something as it moves through the positions. Now it goes rear, up, front without engaging anything. The lever isn't loose or broken, it still stops at the ends of the sweeps.

I looked online for a diagram but all I found was an exploded parts list. What did they break and how can I fix it? Anyone heard of this before?

Check to see if there is a set screw on the handle shaft that needs tightening.

Check to see if there is a set screw on the handle shaft that needs tightening.
I figured it out now that the stove cooled - one of the kids must have thrown the lever really quickly. The "panel" inside that the handle moves had gotten too far forward. Simply giving it a gentle push back into place fixed it. Thanks though!

You got off easy.

My way too-strong 17 year old son closed the Progress air damper so hard that he rotated the lever 360° which should never happen.
It bent all the fins inside the air damper <>

We discussed detailed "lever shutting " instructions :confused:

Last edited:
You got off easy.

My way too-strong 17 year old son closed the Progress air damper so hard that he rotated the lever 360° which should never happen.
It bent all the fins inside the air damper <>

We discussed detailed "lever shutting " instructions :confused:
My god what are you feeding him? ;)

Reactions: fire_man