VC Encore 2550 Draft question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

othelloears

Hearth Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
So. NH
I just installed a VC Encore Cat 2550 which I completely rebuilt including all new cement, gaskets, combustor, thermostat and cat.

We have had warm temps in NH and with the air shut, at its peak, it will run between 500-600. I don't know the stove but feel like I should be able to run it lower. I know I am being picky but I feel like with the air shut I should be able to run around 300-400. (Griddle temp)

Can anyone that runs this stove maintain it that low (300-400)?

I have to assume based on what Ive done I have no leaks and wondering whether its a draft issue.

I am running a 6" flue with 25' of 6" stainless chimney liner through my chimney.

Would the 6" flue I am running create more or less draft than the normal 8"?

Is it possible I have too much draft?

Thanks

Not the same model, but I can run my Encore at 400 if I shut it down early in the burn and minimize the coal bed. My concern with that is that I am not burning hot enough to prevent build up in the chimmney. During this time of year in NH I'm not burning as much since we are having 25 to 30 temp swings in a few hours and burning hot means the windows are open or burning "cool" means I'm burning "dirty".

Thanks for the input.

Thats what I have been doing to keep it down...basically overloading with wood, and shut the damper sooner than I would think.

I ran a resolute acclaim for the last 5 years and was able to run it lower. I am just trying to understand whether I have a problem or whether this is how these stoves run. When it gets cold it should be perfect. Ive only had a fire a couple nights when it got down to the low 40's high 30's but the 75 deg house was too hot to sleep. One night we had the doors and windows open.

Because of everything Ive done I assume it is a draft issue beacause of the 6" pipe I am running. Are you running an 8" pipe?

If you run it with the air closed all the way how hot would it get?

I have 6" pipe. With the bypass closed and the primary closed 100% I can maintain at 550 with a good coal bed. Closed down w/o good coals the temp will drop from 700 to 450 within 30 minutes. I'd like to hear what others say about the draft, but my initial thought is that the 6" pipe and length of chimney described is not extreme. Could it be that you are loading to much wood? At this time of year I am not filling the box since even the carryover heat in the cast iron from a moderate burn is typically enough to keep us comfortable.

Wow I am surprised this stove won't run lower than that. I thought I had a problem but maybe not.
I am very curious as to what others say. I could run the acclaim, basically just a smaller version of yours, at 300-400. I understand from this site that the encore has one or two 1/4" holes allowing air to enter even with the air shutter closed. I hear my primary air shutting so I couldn't understand how the fire was running at all.

In shoulder season only load the stove 1/3 full with crap wood & believe you me.... you will not see 650* ;-)

Diabel said:
In shoulder season only load the stove 1/3 full with crap wood & believe you me.... you will not see 650* ;-)

Well said. The cats iron holds the heat well and with these moderate temps I'm saving my good wood for later in the season.

Just to close the loop with you guys I wanted to let you know I figured out my concerns.

I was not aware of the two 1/4" holes at the bottom. What I can tell you is that the holes tap nicely with a 3/8" tap for a bolt to screw in there.

I now run it with one of those blocked and it is perfect for me. With the primary air handle all the way closed and a nice base of coals it runs for 9 hours at 350-400 with little or no creosote. It also gives you a lot more flexibility. You do have to be more diligent about getting a nice coal base which I am use to with the 2490 acclaim. Generally just being more patient when staring a new or totally dead fire prior to shutting the damper...allowing some coals to build

I have not tried it with both holes blocked but will update you when I have a try.

Thanks so much for all your help. This site is great

Status
Not open for further replies.