VC gas stove won't come on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickybamboo

Oct 3, 2009
in the cold
I have a vermont castings radiance gas stove. The pilot wouldn't stay lit once I released the knob(had the gas off to it for the summer - just turned it back on) so I cleaned the tc/tp with an emery cloth. The pilot is lit now, but when I turn it to 'on' the pilot goes out. Any ideas?
I'm a newbie - let me now if there is more info needed. Thanks for your help.

Is it a B-vent unit?
If it is, I encountered this symptom last winter...
Check the wiring diagram - IF you have one.
There's a thermodisk (spill switch) up near the top of the unit & under the removable grille.
Remove the wires from either side of the t-disk & put a jumper wire between them.
Does the unit work now?
If so replace the t-disk. $20 maybe...
If not, try replacing the wires to & from the t-disk...
The sheathing gets brittle from being in the high heat environment at the top of the unit
& may be shorting against the chassis somewhere...
If it STILL doesn't work, try jumping the new wires to test the t-disk...
Let us know how you make out...

wow....thanks for the quick reply.
i've had a couple glasses of wine now (by the light of my pilot light) so will try your tips out in the morning. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.