VC Intrepid (Cat) expected burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
What kind of burn times should one expect from this stove using good hardwood & properly sized flue set up?

Thanks

Diabel,

VC says:

Burn Time (Max.) 6 hours

Thinking of downsizing? Only joking.

How is the Encore NC running? Mine is going mighty fine!

Cheers

Hey Halhalla,

I want to put a second stove in my basement & I do have a soft spot for these VC stoves despite everything that goes on.....

As for my encore....it is working hard! It is way undersized for the house, but it was never meant to be a primary source of heat. Another big test is coming later on this week (it is going to be chilly!).

btw what kind of flue set up do you have? And do you have a flue thermo?

A straight up 8" double wall interior, about 21 feet total.

See photo of the setup and thermometers. The griddle sweet spot is 575F and 275F on the flue.

I agree with your intentions. My old early Defiant was a monster smoke dragon, but one with max BTUs. Considering our winter and the future, it is a wise move for you.

Cheers

Attachments

• two thermos photo for web post.jpg
    two thermos photo for web post.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 205
Very nice, it's so clean it almost looks unused! The flue collar seal....is that just light shining on it? What flue temps do you get in the early stages of the burn?

The wife dusts the Black gloss enamel finish. ;>) The glare is just the sun, when the photo was taken early last fall. Before it started to snow... and snow.

At cold start-up I try to get the flue temps to 150 to 200F ASAP. I like clean flues!

I am still impressed how clean it looks! What is your avg. flue temp. The reason why I am asking is because I get around 400* on avg. using outside magnetic thermo. & that is almost double what some other stoves (non-cat) different brands get.

Diabel, funny you should ask, yesterday i loaded the intrepid and got six hours and was able to reload without kindling. this is with cat engaged and griddle temps at 450. thats about the max i can get with it.

Hi jet,

That is impressive with 450* after 6hrs!!!

This would be a basement set up & the stove would be fired occasionally when the kids want to play there. 6hrs would be ideal...load it once & let it burn out. What is the ideal chimney height for this stove?
I would like to hook it up to the existing chimney that was used by the boiler & I believe that it was lined at one point with 6" liner. I understand that it needs to be ripped out & relined with wood burning liner (the old one is a gas set up). Now the chimney from bottom to the roof is about 35-40" a damper would be required I think.

Diabel, just a note it wasnt 450 at reload, actually it was about 250 but started back up fine. My setup is 14 feet of straight up 6 inch pipe and i havent had any draft problems. Ive been burning this stove after a rebuild for about a year and im very impressed with its heat output for its size. learning the cat has taken a while but i think i have gotten a handle on it. Anyway all that to say this I like the stove a lot

Diabel said:
I am still impressed how clean it looks! What is your avg. flue temp. The reason why I am asking is because I get around 400* on avg. using outside magnetic thermo. & that is almost double what some other stoves (non-cat) different brands get.

Diabel,

Back to this subject. My flue temps never average 400F, or even reach it. Most peaks are to 325F. The thermometers are periodically checked for calibration to a standard. Go figure. So is it draft, altitude, fuel... ?

Hey, in this weather we want max BTUs!

Cheers.

Valhalla said:
Diabel said:

Diabel,

Back to this subject. My flue temps never average 400F, or even reach it. Most peaks are to 325F. The thermometers are periodically checked for calibration to a standard. Go figure. So is it draft, altitude, fuel... ?

Cheers.

Interesting, so maybe the 6" vs 8" flue pipe does make a difference. Right now I am running 600* griddle & 450* flue (magnetic) am I loosing too much heat through the flue?

Hey Diabel,

Could it be that your 6" flue has less air flow, by 25% less than an 8" flue, therefore retains more heat, rather then venting it. The larger flue on my Encore dilutes the flue gases with more air, in-turn lowering surface temperatures.

Is my logic correct?

That is what I am thinking....

Yet VC tested these units with 6" pipe. The only people that have glowing issues use 6" pipe so it seems......

Valhalla said:
Diabel said:

Diabel,

Cheers.

Hey Valhalla,

Sorry...you mean 400* internal?

btw what kind of heat producing burn times do you get out of a full load?

Now we are getting somewhere. So the smaller and very acceptable 6" flue may retain more heat in the stove and pipe. Considering what stoves are designed to do, it could be a good thing.

I offer that Encore NCs with a 6" flue may have a higher efficiency. Check my logic please.

Diabel said:
Valhalla said:
Diabel said:

Diabel,

Cheers.

Hey Valhalla,

Sorry...you mean 400* internal?

btw what kind of heat producing burn times do you get out of a full load?

Diabel,

It is an external surface thermometer.

My max burn times typically can reach 6 hours. Sometimes a full burn cycle could be 7+ hours with the best of fuel loads. I cheer it! The fuel type and how I load the stove affects this greatly, so as it is said "your mileage may vary". I'm still looking for a 10 hour full cycle burn, maybe if you add the 2-3 hr cold start to a 7 hour max burn one could reach the 10 hour time VC describes.

Status
Not open for further replies.