VC Intrepid II to a Osburn 2200 wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foz682

Jan 9, 2015
Nova Scotia
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but not particularly new to wood stoves.

Thinking about moving from my Vermont Castings Intrepid II to an Osburn 2200. Looking for more heat output and longer burn time, also find the cat to be a bit frustrating at times. The Intrepid is a nice little stove but it seems like I'm always filling it.
House is one level, around 1400 sq ft, stove is in the kitchen and things are fairly open for air movement. Wood is mostly maple and some birch, well seasoned.
Anyone with experience with this Osburn have any advice? Realistic burn times? Blower option worth it?
Thanks

Welcome to the forums!

Where in NS do you live? If you're in Cape Breton vs Yarmouth would make a big difference in your heating needs.

Right now Osburn (SBI) stoves are far and few between. They are overwhelmed at their manufacturing plant just outside of Quebec City. Some people have 2 month delays in getting their stoves. However, I believe some of these delays have more to do with a poor distribution network down in the US. Do you have a location near you that has one in stock?

I think the 2200 should meet your needs. It has a 2.3 cu ft firebox which should allow 6-8 hour burn times (not open flames for 6-8 hours). So you should be able to get a small over night burn. Especially with maple. IF you were to get the 2300, I think you'd cook yourself out of your kitchen.

Kind of cold everywhere in Eastern Canada eh? ;)

Andrew

I'm on Cape Breton, it's been steady between -10 & -20 °C and windy lately. I do have a location nearby that has 2 in stock. 6-8 hours would be nice, also being able to fit longer pieces of wood, 14-15" can be a struggle sometimes.
Thanks for replying

Picked up the Osburn 2200 yesterday, found it for $1200 less than what I was originally quoted !!!
Got it in and set up and I must say the thing is a beast compared to my VC, but fits in really nice. Had a little fire going yesterday then loaded it up about 11 last night, 6 this morning there was a thick bed of coals and still a little fire, and it was nearly 24::C in the house while outside is right around -23::C and windy. With my VC Intrepid II I was filling it at 11:30-12, 2:30am and by 6am it would be about empty with very few coals, and cool in the house (18::C). So far I'm obviously impressed with heat output, and we all love the look of the big bay window. :)
I didn't get the blower because they had none in stock, not sure if I'll need it or not.

How are things in Cape Breton (other than cold)?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the firebox. How the heck did you get $1200 off of the price? DId you buy it online or locally?

Andrew

Things are good here, it's been a pretty good winter so far, cold but not much of the white stuff.

Bought it locally at a dealer 20 minutes away from home that I didn't even realize carried osburn, seen their flyer last week and they were running a great sale on in stock stoves, over $400 off of their regular price and $1200 less than the original dealer I talked to, who is 2 hrs drive from home. Luckily they had the one I was looking for in stock. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.