VC Montpelier II auto fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

caterinosmp

Dec 20, 2020
Norwell ma
Hey everyone first post here however I've been able to just read threads for troubleshooting in the past.

We recently had a Vermont castings montpelier II installed... when I look at my fan speed switch the top knob is the fan speed and the button that is a toggle switch is on and auto? At what point does the fan auto turn on? My fan speed is set to medium so I know it's on.

I have correctly broken in our new unit and I've taken my time doing so. I'm at the point where I can build a full stoked fire. So setting a hot fire is no issue.

This is my first vc and we replaced our almost 30 year jotul for something more updated. Also the fan for being a brand new unit seems loud.

Also... my right air control switch, which is a knob on the right... doesn't seem to do much. I push it in before I open the door and it still seems to be smokey... any suggestions.

Thanks

Adam

IMG_20201219_195938_468.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone first post here however I've been able to just read threads for troubleshooting in the past.

We recently had a Vermont castings montpelier II installed... when I look at my fan speed switch the top knob is the fan speed and the button that is a toggle switch is on and auto? At what point does the fan auto turn on? My fan speed is set to medium so I know it's on.

I have correctly broken in our new unit and I've taken my time doing so. I'm at the point where I can build a full stoked fire. So setting a hot fire is no issue.

This is my first vc and we replaced our almost 30 year jotul for something more updated. Also the fan for being a brand new unit seems loud.

Also... my right air control switch, which is a knob on the right... doesn't seem to do much. I push it in before I open the door and it still seems to be smokey... any suggestions.

Thanks

Adam

View attachment 269837
The "auto" is controlled by a snap disc installed behind the switch. There is no spec and I don't think these thing is super accurate but as far as I can tell, it get turned on around 120F and turned off around 90F.

The "air control" is only controlling the ACC, which is a self timed boost air opening at around the "dog house" position. It helps to get the fire started from a reload. I don;t bother push it before opening the door because it does not do much. Try not to open the door too often when there are still flame. If you need to, first crack the door open just a bit and wait a minute until the draft pattern settled.

Reactions: caterinosmp