VC Montpelier II or...something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattEffinCameron

Nov 1, 2022
new england
Doing sort of a quick and dirty purchase of a wood burning insert. We had considered buying one to put in our brick fireplace when we bought the house a number of years ago but at the time it didnt work out. Now we are heading into winter again and just had the idea hey, maybe we should do that insert. So I called around today to see what might be available (not knowing how supply chain issues were affecting inventory/lead times) and found a few shops with some inserts still available. I want to move quickly since I know with winter approaching (and news headlines about gas shortages this winter) they might not last long...and also I want to get something installed before the holidays.

So anyway, my parents growing up heated our home with a wood stove, so I am not completely new to this, though I know inserts are different. We used to have a Jotul but they dont appear to make wood inserts anymore. Vermont Casting is another brand that I feel familiar with and the Montpelier II will fit our opening, and a local shop has one in stock.

Seems like a no brainer! But before I pull the trigger, are there other brands I should make sure I consider before making the purchase? any concerns/problems with the VC Mii? In looking at reviews online I seem to see people complaining about the blower being loud...but mostly those reviews seem to be from Montpelier I's, not sure if anything is better (or worse) about the II?

Stove supply this season is low. The Vermont Castings Montpelier II is the same inside as the Quadrafire Expedition II insert. This is a medium-sized insert with a fixed burn rate. There is no user control besides the startup air. If the goal is for a simple insert, with hands-off operation then it may do the job well.

Without knowing more about the house layout, sq ftg., and fireplace dimensions we can't begin to recommend alternatives. There are many good inserts but the question is what is available.

How is your wood supply? Modern stoves need firewood that tests with the interior at <20% moisture.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattEffinCameron
Stove supply this season is low. The Vermont Castings Montpelier II is the same inside as the Quadrafire Expedition II insert. This is a medium-sized insert with a fixed burn rate. There is no user control besides the startup air. If the goal is for a simple insert, with hands-off operation then it may do the job well.

Without knowing more about the house layout, sq ftg., and fireplace dimensions we can't begin to recommend alternatives. And then there is the question of what is available.

How is your wood supply? Modern stoves need firewood that tests inside at <20% moisture.
The house is a small colonial (built in 2001). 1020sf first floor with a pretty open layout. The entire back half of the house is totally open (kitchen to living room with the fireplace at the far end of the living room). The front rooms are also open connected by french doors (which are always open).
Upstairs is the same 1020sf, plus a ~600sf bonus room over the garage at the far end of the house (opposite where the fireplace is). The bonus room is heated/cooled with a minisplit (heat pump).
the whole house is heated (2 zones) with baseboard hot water from an oil furnace. My goal with the insert is to be able to crank it up and be super warm and cozy downstairs on cold winter days....and secondarily be able to reduce our oil consumption a bit. I don't expect/need the insert to be able to heat our entire house as the sole source of heat on a cold winter day or overnight, but that would sure be a pleasant bonus if it were capable of doing so.
As for wood, I have cord or so of hardwood we split and stacked a few years ago from a tree that came down and have a few more that will be coming down in the next few years (emerald ash borer). Not sure of the exact moisture level but we always did well with wood that was split and stacked for a couple years. are modern stoves (or maybe modern inserts) more sensitive to wood thats not dry enough than I am remembering from my youth? Or do they just not burn as hot/long/efficiently if the wood isnt dry enough?

It will heat the house when outside temps are moderate. How well will depend on the house insulation and sealing. My guess is that below 20º the boiler may cycle once and a while, but that is not a bad thing.

I’m not really familiar with the VC/Quad inserts. Fixed burn rate is a turn off for me. Check out Osborn, Pacific energy.

Reactions: Tweedle
can you elaborate on saying there is no user/air control or a fixed burn rate?

I dont see any inserts advertising any special additional level of control beyond the same damper they all have to let more or less air in...unless you're talking about pellet inserts which are obviously thermostat controlled

can you elaborate on saying there is no user/air control or a fixed burn rate?

I dont see any inserts advertising any special additional level of control beyond the same damper they all have to let more or less air in...unless you're talking about pellet inserts which are obviously thermostat controlled
The VC/quad insert does not have the damper (or air inlet) control lever. There is no user input beyond startup air. if you can not control the air in or a damper out the unit is said to have a fixed burn rate.

The VC/quad insert does not have the damper (or air inlet) control lever. There is no user input beyond startup air. if you can not control the air in or a damper out the unit is said to have a fixed burn rate.
ah, I see...I thought there was a lever in the slot at the top, I see thats just where heat comes out of.
What is startup air? the door being open during startup allowing additional air?

There is an extra air inlet on a timer to provide extra air on start ups. Activating the lever opens the air intake and started the manual timer. Some just crack the door for a bit. But the timer closes the startup air automatically. Do so research on the forum for your selection.
ah, I see...I thought there was a lever in the slot at the top, I see thats just where heat comes out of.
What is startup air? the door being open during startup allowing additional air?