VC Montpelier ll

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DelCostello

Jan 3, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hello all! I just put in a VC Montpelier ll. I have a question that even the installer couldn’t confirm...ugh. The manual is really confusing about this. I know someone in this forum knows the answer... what is and how do I use the “start up air control” lever which is in the lower right corner.
also- I have a IR thermometer and I point it at the collar I read about 600/650. I am assuming this is a good temp to hold at?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a startup air control. It needs to be cocked to wind up the timer. After you have lit the fire, close the door, then activate the control by pushing the startup air control knob in, then pull it out until it stops. The timer will then introduce startup air for about 10 minutes. Page 13 of the manual provides another example of how to start the stove.

It's a startup air control. It needs to be cocked to wind up the timer. After you have lit the fire, close the door, then activate the control by pushing the startup air control knob in, then pull it out until it stops. The timer will then introduce startup air for about 10 minutes. Page 13 of the manual provides another example of how to start the stove.
Thank you! That makes perfect sense. Helpful.