VC resolute gasket question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey tamato

Nov 11, 2013
Toms River NJ
I replaced my gaskets before our cold season started. The doors weren't as tight as they were with the old gaskets. But it didn't smoke. I bought new gaskets just in case I wanted to replace them to create tighter fit. When a fire is really hot, I can see a slight glow from around the edge (like an opening). It's very slight, but in the dark I can see it. The new gaskets that came, are wire mesh.
Can I use 5/16" wire mesh on the doors?
thanks in advance

If your gaskets are shot, the stove won't smoke, unless there's a restriction in your chimney, but you will see a decrease in burn times.
Did you try a "Dollar Bill" test on your doors?
The 5/16" armored gasket is not meant for the doors, it's only meant for the griddle.
Use the correct gasket for your doors.

I have not done the dollar bill test. That's a great idea... I forgot about that! it seems as though I only see light, when the stove has been burning for more than 6 hours. But I will do the test. And I'll purchase the correct gaskets. Just in case.
Thanks for the reminder about the dollar bill test DAKSY

This is what I found elsewhere on the forum while searching for same info

5/16" for door. The griddle depends: If it's a"raised griddle", that is it doen't sit flush w/ the top, then use the same 5/16". If it's a flush griddle, then get the fancy 5/16" armorseal stuff with the meatal wound around it. Armorseal doesn't work w/ raised griddle, but standard gasketing can work w/ flush graiddles. Just deosn't last as long. Is there glass? Use 5/8 or 3/4 adhesive tape. With the cast panel, 1/4" regular rope works fine. Careful removing old stuff, (asbestos)

ok... Update. I replaced the gaskets on the doors, and it's a much tighter fit. seems like the wood is burner slower and I have more control over the heat. thanks to everyone for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.