VC Resolute iii question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IIEGS617

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Ohio
Hello all!
I'm new to the forum, but long time reader.
Quick question in regards to re-sealing a VC Resolute III I recently came across. Stove is solid, needed a good cleaning and re-seal. I know traditionally these type of cast iron stoves are sealed with high temp furnace cement, however, I got to thinking.....
Has anyone ever sealed the seams on a cast iron stove with rope gasket? Is it possible? Any benefit or negative to this thought? Would it last like the cement, or not even worth the effort?
Thanks in advance, Ed

It's bein gdone even now, some newer Vermont Castings and Dutchwest stoves are gasketed together! With regard to the Resolute, maybe give it try and see how it goes? No idea how well it would work or more to the point, for how long it would work. The Resolute in particular is one which holds up very well for many years between rebuilding. So if you went the conventional route it's a sure thing. Other stoves not so much, like the fronts on Jotul F-600's for example. Or old Vigilant II's on the front corners. Oi! But gasketing the Resolute would sort of be like a solution looking for a problem in a way. Less messy I guess...

Thanks for your reply defiant3!

Just for the sake of conversation, you figure the gaskets just break down too quickly? Is that the understanding?

Do you recommend a particular brand of cement over another?

On another note, what's the best finish for one of these caddy irons? I read somewhere that it's not recommended to paint these stoves. Is that correct? I also seen a video on YouTube where a guy "seasoned" an old stove with some type of oil like you would for cast iron pans. Never heard of anything like that before......

I like Rutland brand furnace cement and also their high temp. stove paint. Don't know what you've seen, I just paint em.

Hello all!
I'm new to the forum, but long time reader.
Quick question in regards to re-sealing a VC Resolute III I recently came across. Stove is solid, needed a good cleaning and re-seal. I know traditionally these type of cast iron stoves are sealed with high temp furnace cement, however, I got to thinking.....
Has anyone ever sealed the seams on a cast iron stove with rope gasket? Is it possible? Any benefit or negative to this thought? Would it last like the cement, or not even worth the effort?
Thanks in advance, Ed
----------
I have a Resolute iii with glass doors.

what size gaskets did you use for doors and griddle ?
THX