VC Vigilant 1977 with Pellet Basket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skyline7349

Oct 19, 2023
USA
Hypothetically speaking, can i use a pellet basket in this stove? what can i expect? Will the heat output be significantly less? im looking for the easiest solution, ive though about the eco bricks and now pellets as alternative to good seasoned wood.

There are pellet baskets sold for wood stoves. I’ve never seen a glowing review of them, so I’m thinking they didn’t work as well as the user hoped. I imagine this is related to airflow through the basket. Pellet stoves force air up through the pellets. A tub of pellets will only get air touching the outside. I’d think this would make them burn like a split, but maybe not? Compressed logs don’t burn as well as splits, but close enough to work.