VC Winter Warm 2080

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bark Gofly

Jan 21, 2020
Maine
VC WinterWarm 2080 Fireplace insert... Recently I've noticed build up on the front glass left side near latch, also it appears the fire wants to start and burn on the right side of the firebox and then works it way over to the whole log? I replaced the gaskets on both the door and glass but it did not change? What am I dealing with? Could it be the air flow lever? as that is on the left side towards front of stove?

I inherited one of these when I bought my house 4 years ago and have used it (by default) since. I think this is common. And there are others that will chime in saying the same, I believe. If I get a buildup of soot, it is in the exact same area you described, although, this doesn't happen often. I don't notice the fire starting on one side and burning gradually to the other, as I burn mine, to start, with the door cracked. By the time I shut the door, the fire is good and established throughout the firebox.

There seem to be a million gaskets in this thing and seems to allow room air to leak in. This causes the main issue with this thing (imo), being that it burns way faster than it should. The air control lever, from full open to full close, does not have any sort of dramatic effect on the fire and/or flames.

I've been saying for two years now that I am going to replace it, but other projects have taken priority. Its a big unit and a big heater. Heats my whole 2 story house. However, I do not like the low burn times due to the air issue. I'm not sure what I can replace it with. I would need something similar in size and specs, to make it easiest, labor-wise, to replace.