Vent brush came off - neighbor saves the day with a home-made tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bcarton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2014
Pelham, NH
Oops - meant to post this in the pellet forum - sorry, folks.

It's been a couple years since I posted, but I had to share this with folks who would appreciate.

Our pellet stove replaced an old smoke dragon wood stove on a hearth. Our vent goes up, then horizontal into a tee adapter inside an old masonry chimney, then up through flex vent with insulation to the roof. It's a good install, but the vent is a major chore to disassemble, which I've always avoided. It took two guys much bigger than me to put it together, no way I could pry it apart.

I had pneumonia a few weeks ago, still run out of steam by mid-day. I friend came over to brush the vent for me this morning, but lost the brush in the vent. It went down and stuck at the bottom of the tee adapter.

My friend left, said it shouldn't be a problem because it was lower than the intake, but I wasn't real comfortable.

My next-door neighbor has lots of chimney tools, so I went over to see if had a solution. He didn't, but he made one that worked like a champ.

IMG_20181021_134511.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pen