vent di and length for tiny wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CamaroMan

Jan 3, 2023
Long Beach, CA
Hi there - we are finally installing a vintage wood fireplace, its tiny just like our house.. TINY, the size of those tent camp stoves- we ran a few fires through it outside and sealed the inside -

anyway- since its so tiny, OD of the top vent exit (its not round but oval) is about 3.5 inches.. wouldnt a 6 inch be way too big for this little thing? Considering 4 inch double - i read alot about 15ft minimum, but this thing is really tiny we might end up around 12ft total (considering a through the wall system)..

Thoughts? Im really only interested in the physics of the stove/vent length and diameter so pls try keep it on topic thanks.

stove in question:

stove.jpg

Experiment a little. Try some 4" round made oval.

thanks, yes been pondering how to fit round pipe in to that odd shaped hole- I have some steel bands I can bend into shape and try make up some type of collar there - looked on the back, its a crown model 15, early 1900's :/ not gonna find anything for that.

thanks, yes been pondering how to fit round pipe in to that odd shaped hole- I have some steel bands I can bend into shape and try make up some type of collar there - looked on the back, its a crown model 15, early 1900's :/ not gonna find anything for that.
What are the dimensions of the oval?

Yes, the inside and outside circumference would be helpful.

thanks for the replies - we ended up finding a brassflame 6 inch unit for $300 and its working like an absolute charm - excellent draft, except someone repainted the darn thing and we have to strip it down and redo it with proper fireplace paint-

thanks for the replies - we ended up finding a brassflame 6 inch unit for $300 and its working like an absolute charm - excellent draft, except someone repainted the darn thing and we have to strip it down and redo it with proper fireplace paint-
The Brass Flame should be painted with stove paint. Stove Brite Honey-Glo Brown is a good color for this stove.

Reactions: CamaroMan
Thanks begreen, turns out the paint on the brass flame was awful, spray paint maybe. Stripped it all down today and no smell!!

I did find rustoleum almond fireplace paint which I might test with, or is there a better paint? Vht makes some nice exhaust paints but not in almond. Amazon has some almond options, or I'll just clear coat it with vht exhaust manifold paint.

We might decide to keep it as is and clear coat it, very steam punk and cool looking. I shined up the brass and window crystal clear..

20230113_212756.jpg 20230115_174801.jpg

That's looking better already. If you want it to be black then use Stove Brite Satin Black. Steel wool the whole stove first, starting with coarse and working to fine. Then wipe down with a tack rag and follow by alcohol. Stove Brite fumes are brain rotting, so paint in a very well-ventilated location above 55º. Do light coats. Usually, 3 are enough. The paint dries quickly so about 30 minutes between coats is good.

Reactions: CamaroMan
That's looking better already. If you want it to be black then use Stove Brite Satin Black. Steel wool the whole stove first, starting with coarse and working to fine. Then wipe down with a tack rag and follow by alcohol. Stove Brite fumes are brain rotting, so paint in a very well-ventilated location above 55º. Do light coats. Usually, 3 are enough. The paint dries quickly so about 30 minutes between coats is good.
Thanks will look into it..

I did scour the whole thing with stainless wool burning clean now, still a tiny spot on back i have to get at .

We like the bare steel look I might try the clear exhaust paint on a section

Thanks begreen, turns out the paint on the brass flame was awful, spray paint maybe. Stripped it all down today and no smell!!

I did find rustoleum almond fireplace paint which I might test with, or is there a better paint? Vht makes some nice exhaust paints but not in almond. Amazon has some almond options, or I'll just clear coat it with vht exhaust manifold paint.

We might decide to keep it as is and clear coat it, very steam punk and cool looking. I shined up the brass and window crystal clear..

View attachment 307827 View attachment 307828
Uhhh you need a hearth pad and probably more rear clearance

Reactions: coaly
thank you bholler was about to comment on the wall behind it WOW

gee guys i do have a hearth, that was just a test pic yikes.. not everyone is an idiot.. and clearance to spec on back of stove and online docs- it has a double heat shield at the back already and one on each side- the hearth is room temp even when the thing is ablaze for a while. Ive been burning wood for over 40 years.. thanks-

Reactions: BillBurns
gee guys i do have a hearth, that was just a test pic yikes.. not everyone is an idiot.. and clearance to spec on back of stove and online docs- it has a double heat shield at the back already and one on each side- the hearth is room temp even when the thing is ablaze for a while. Ive been burning wood for over 40 years.. thanks-
Sorry but even if the clearance from the stove body is right the pipe clearance is nowhere near enough.

Doesn't that stove require 4" to combustibles? It doesn't really look like 4 but I could be wrong

Last edited:
Yes we most certainly are. Anyone that denies being an idiot is only fooling themselves.
I am fully aware that I am in many ways

hey camaroman if i'am not up to date sorry but the last time i checked vht spray paint it was only good for 400 degrees.

hey camaroman if i'am not up to date sorry but the last time i checked vht spray paint it was only good for 400 degrees.
They have 1200 degree stuff as well

Reactions: fbelec