vent free gas heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rocket-Man

Jan 1, 2022
East Amherst
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have a vent free gas heater for our garage. It's been in use since 2007, when we build our garage. It's worked fine up until this year. Sometimes it can be hard to start, but it always started. This year it refused to start. I changed the thermocouple and cleaned the pilot light. I then tested the unit
at different temperatures. It was working fine, so I attached the cover and front flame bar assembly. Then it refused to start.

I am back to square one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rocket-Man

Could be the gas valve.

If you do need to replace the heater please consider a vented unit. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is no joke, and should be taken into consideration. The Mr heater/heatmax/(goes by other names) unit heaters are pretty affordable and work well, and would vent all the combustion byproducts outside the garage.

Could be the gas valve.

The Mr heater/heatmax/(goes by other names) unit heaters are pretty affordable and work well, and would vent all the combustion byproducts outside the garage.
Love mine, it works great. I woud not use a non-venter heater, especially since my workshop is sealed pretty tight.

Reactions: ABMax24
Love mine, it works great. I woud not use a non-venter heater, especially since my workshop is sealed pretty tight.

I also have the 50k unit in my garage, it works well. Not the quietest unit in the world but for my needs it doesn't have to be. Pretty hard to beat the price of them.