Q&A vent free in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

i have approx 600 sq feet of finished basement that is a media/entertainment room. i want to just take the chill off on weekends, evenings etc when we watch tv or so on. i have looked at direct vents but have some flue clearance problems (only 6 ft off vertical for 6 ft off horizontal) but i can still cut a vent in the rib joist above the sill plate on my foundation. i was wondering wether or not i could install a non masonry zero clearance fire box, potentially run a vent ( to take care of any odors) and use vent free logs?

Answer:

NO..a vent-free must be a vent-free..not approved for a "1/2 vent" type situation as you describe. You could either use a vent-free (the newer catalytic models are cleaner) or use a direct vent sealed gas unit with it's two pipes...some can go quite far over..check out the manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.