Vent Free Insert - Odd issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Owen1508

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2014
Memphis TN
Ran across this issue at a customers home on a vent free insert. Has anyone come across this before. The unit has been installed and burning about a year. No salt water and it is not being touched by flames.

Attachments

• IMG_1853 (1).JPG
    IMG_1853 (1).JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 164
Just throwing this out, since I haven't done a LOT of servicing on the room-vented appliances, but my thinking says those whitish deposits are the byproducts of something that was in the combustion air as it burned in the open flame. Whether it was an aerosol spray, dog hair or some other compound, who knows?
Just another reason I wouldn't burn one in my home...

Reactions: Owen1508
Daksy Thanks... My first thought was salt water condensation. So you have confirmed my idea of a residue from the air. BTW I was hoping you'd see this post as I respect and trust your knowledge. Thanks again

Reactions: DAKSY
The white deposits from a VF appliance are typically silicates. Generally from dusty or other particulates in the household air.

I agree. The odd thing was these happened overnight to a unit that has been installed for years. It was cleaned and re-lit. The issue has yet to happen again. Thanks for looking and helping. Love this site.