vent in flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisswaim

Hearth Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
west virginia
has anybody ever vent their pellet directly into a flew instead of through the wall. i am not real pleased with the sparks coming out on the ground next to the house

go directly into my old wood stove chimney. do i have to run pipe all the way up the chimney or just in through the thimble in the wall. i assume i would have to have some sort of cleanout inside.

I am not an expert on this but my assumption is that you will have to run pipe all the way up. I replaced our wood stove with a pellet stove. The wood stove had a very thick metal pipe that ran up the chimney and I wanted to use that but my brother in law, who is an HVAC tech, told me I had to use the stainless steel pipe even though it was a lot thinner than my old wood stove pipe. I think it may have something to do with corrosion.

OU812 said:
I am not an expert on this but my assumption is that you will have to run pipe all the way up. I replaced our wood stove with a pellet stove. The wood stove had a very thick metal pipe that ran up the chimney and I wanted to use that but my brother in law, who is an HVAC tech, told me I had to use the stainless steel pipe even though it was a lot thinner than my old wood stove pipe. I think it may have something to do with corrosion.

Really its recommented to use 4" pipe because of the exhaust blower on the stove. The blower would have a hard time pushing the exhaust up a larger dia. pipe. You would run the risk of killing the blower on the stove.

Burning wood or pellets would have little to no effect on the liner. Corn or other biofuels are high acid content when burning! So if you plan on burning corn you would need a liner rated for that. Which is 304 stainless steel.

jay

Thanks - but why can't you use wood stove pipe for a pellet stove? Wood stove pipe is thicker and much cheaper and there must be a reason for people using more expensive pellet stove pipe.

OU812 said:
Thanks - but why can't you use wood stove pipe for a pellet stove? Wood stove pipe is thicker and much cheaper and there must be a reason for people using more expensive pellet stove pipe.

Pellet stove exhaust runs cooler, as the gas cools off moister mixes with the gases and make sulfuric acid. This will eventuality eat through regular steel flues. There for pellet stoves inner pipe is made out of stainless steel for corrosion resistance which will cost more.

the chimney has 8 inch flew liner. couldnt i run the the pellet stove pipe into the flew liner. wouldnt the fumes pull themselves out of the chimney. i would hate to have to run pellet stove pipe 20 feet.

Thanks Hoveryfly! I was really hoping there was a good reason we ripped out a perfectly good wood stove pipe and replaced it with stainless. Dennis, you may just want to look at getting a flexible stainless liner and running it up your old pipe. Plan on spending a few hundred either way though. The stuff we used looks like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-X-25-Stainless-Steel-Chimney-Liner-Kit-Pellet-Stove_W0QQitemZ360130853802QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360130853802&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

You can usually special order this at most HVAC supply stores.

Well at least I got the 4" part right. I see that both L vent pipes are stainless steel lined. Pellets is 430 stainless. Corn is 304 stainless.

My chimney has a 6" liner. My installer wanted to run the 4 inch liner up that. That was what he told me. Exhaust blower would not handle it.

I opted to move the stove and use the pellet vent fit.(cheaper than a 4" liner up the chimney). Kept the wood stove as back up and really cold days.

Thanks for correcting my hoverfly.
jay

I have to say that I have a 3" liner going up about 20 feet and have not noticed any problems with the blower motor or the stove venting. I don't burn a large amount of pellets though (maybe 3 bags a week) or leave my stove on for more than a few hours at a time but I haven't heard of any advantage over using 4" pipe and would have used it as the cost is not much greater than 3" pipe so I really think it is based on manufacturers recommendations. I do know that there is a similar argument with plumbers about sewer pipe. Some plumbers say a smaller pipe allows for more force to push objects down and other plumbers believe a larger sewer pipe lets objects tumble freely down the line. This seems like a Ford Vs. Chevy argument and I would just use the diameter of pipe that your owners manual recommends. If you keep your pellet stove pipe clean you shouldn't have any problems. Who knows? Maybe in a few months you will see me post something about my blower motor constantly burning out. :)

CZARCAR said:
dennisswaim said:
has anybody ever vent their pellet directly into a flew instead of through the wall. i am not real pleased with the sparks coming out on the ground next to the house
YES & if it aint right your nose will tell u. chimny has natural draft,pellet stove burns really clean, & fellow members have tooooo much $$$$$$$$$ 2 figure out the diff

CZARCAR,

If I had that much cash, Would I be burning pellets, Think not. I'd be where I would have to pay for ac

You'd better check your flue gasses, Those fumes might be getting to ya!

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.