Vent insulated chase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 24, 2008
Sothern Maine
I'm doing an out and up metalbestos chimney in an insulated chase. Should I vent the chase for condensation, on not vent to keep the pipe warm?

Condensation? where would the condensation come from? in the winter the pipe will be warmer then the air in the chase and would not produce condensation, and in the summer if the chase is not vented the air temp. in the chase would probably change slowly enough for the pipe to change temp. with it and no condensation would result or it would be minor. Plus if the chase is not vented supply of moist air would be limited. I would not vent the chase but I would check with the building inspector to make sure they don’t require a vent for some reason

Well, I don't plan on running the stove 24/7, and moisture condenses on cold steel. Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing...

Anyways, appreciate your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.