Vented gas logs in outdoor ventless fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TunaSquat

Sep 12, 2023
Texas
I would like to install a 42" Vesper on my back porch. It is completely open, ventilation-wise. I want to maximize the warmth radiating from the fireplace. Is there any reason I can't install a vented log set? They generally seem to allow higher BTUs.

Thanks.

I have a vented gas log set in one of my outdoor fireplaces, and it's very convenient. It looks nice enough that non-woodburners always find it quaint and charming, even though I've never been a big fan of it.

But the thing throws damn-near zero heat out of the fireplace. This might have as much to with fireplace design as being outdoors, but since we're mostly using the patio on which it's installed only in summer, we've always seen that "feature" as an advantage.

From a quick look at the manual for this fireplace, it only lists their specific "Lumonessen" log options (with the myriad of options as Propane of NG - gee thanks for all those choices, guys). But also lists the disclaimer of "FOR USE ONLY WITH A LISTED GAS-FIRED UNVENTED DECORATIVE ROOM HEATER NOT TO EXCEED 40,000 BTU/H. DO NOT BUILD A WOOD FIRE." so that means anyone's approved Ventless logs could be used, provided they fit the opening.

It also lists the maximum allowable BTU level is 40M Btu's, which means again, that Vented logs should not be used, as the fireplace is not rated for more. It's built and specked as a Ventless firebox, so sticking more than the allowable BTU level in there is going to (potentially drastically) affect the clearances and framing it was designed for.

Reactions: Lennox65 and Ashful