Vented Logset pilots and wind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Millbilly

Feeling the Heat
Dec 13, 2015
A question more for other pros. What do you consider reasonable wind speeds for vented gas logsets in masonry and manifactured fireplaces to hold a pilot. Trying to set expectations for customers. Today it is gusting 35 to 40 mph

Interesting subject. Never heard that question, so I can't answer.
I've been in hearth business on & off for the last 20 years,
including install & service, & that has never come up.
On a windy day like today, it might be a good
idea to call someone WITH a standing-pilot vented gas log set &
see how they're making out.
I'd like to hear the answer, too.

Interesting subject. Never heard that question, so I can't answer.
I've been in hearth business on & off for the last 20 years,
including install & service, & that has never come up.
On a windy day like today, it might be a good
idea to call someone WITH a standing-pilot vented gas log set &
see how they're making out.
I'd like to hear the answer, too.

I have encountered this issue in the past. people usually have the damper all the way open. it’s like a open window blowing down the chimney .I try to set the damper clamp so that when it’s closed it’s just a little over the minimum. Like 10%. -20%. That way they don’t have to worry about opening and closing it. .Some people just remove move after it’s installed and then complain that the pilot keeps blowing out when they use because the damper is wide open.

Attachments

• FD509EC4-EB00-438C-ACB5-CBD550ABF1AF.png
    FD509EC4-EB00-438C-ACB5-CBD550ABF1AF.png
    271.1 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: DAKSY
From what Ive been told in Massachusetts the damper has to be removed.