VentFree Propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew555

Sep 24, 2016
NY
Is this safe to use in a house that is only occupied sporadically?
Is it safe period?
Why shouldn't I do this, I have a huge problem with my chimney?
thanks

I spoke with someone,
you can only use this for 3 hours at a time.
this might be a good option to make use of the firebox, but not for heating the house unoccupied.

Is this safe to use in a house that is only occupied sporadically?
Is it safe period?
Why shouldn't I do this, I have a huge problem with my chimney?
thanks

There are a number of negative issues with in-home vented (aka vent-free) appliances & there are few advantages.
First of all everything that is a by-product of the fuel combustion, ie. water vapor & Carbon Monoxide, remain in your home.
Water vapor may not be an issue if you live in a breezy old farmhouse, but in NY, most folks like to button up their homes in the wintertime.
That water vapor WILL be absorbed by dry wood. Wooden doors and windows WILL swell & become difficult to open or close.
Mold can & will form in corners where the moisture is trapped. Condensation will form on windows, especially skylights.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is carbon monoxide. It is a colorless, odorless gas that will kill you. In-home vented appliances release
"an acceptable amount" of CO into the air. How much CO is "acceptable?" In MY home, I would say NONE.
Another downside is the smell. Everything in your home that is both airborne & combustible, like household sprays, pethair/dander
or dust WILL burn & you WILL smell them as they do so...
The advantages of these products are that they are almost 100% efficient, since there is no external exhaust to remove heat, & since you don't need a vent, that is a cost savings. Another downside is the recommendation that they be burned with a window open, which is kinda counter-productive in heating a home.
Others can chime in on this & you will get arguments against & for their use.
Bottom line? It's your home & your family, so it's your call.
Do your due-diligence & learn all you can, before you decide what you're going to do.

Reactions: Tech Guru
I second DAKSY's comments. The VF appliances are best for supplemental or zone heating, and are limited for for overall power, and should be limited with a (usually personally enforced) time frame for how long they should run. So as a substitute for a wood stove or insert which was formerly used to HEAT the space, this would be a poor substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.