Venting a rear vented baby bear with no chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 3, 2017
Georgia
We put a "tiny house" on some land and want to use our baby bear heater in it. There is no existing chimney and this heater vents from the rear. What are my options?

If your baby bear doesnt have heat shields you will need to install the stove 36" from combustibles. If it has heat shields then you can reduce the distance between the stove and combustibles (floor and walls).

If you post some pics of your baby bear it will give us an idea what you have to work with. Also, check out the Fisher stove owners manuals for installation information.

I appreciate the reply. I'm pretty familiar with the clearances and all. I'm just wandering how folks are supporting their pipes when it's a rear vented flue and not top. I will be coming through the roof with the chimney.

Depending on year, the outlet can be the older thin wall which is 6 inch OD which is difficult to insert 6 inch pipe inside without over-crimping it smaller. The side of a Tee fits over the 6 inch OD very well. Then cap the bottom. 3 screws at each joint requires no extra support. When using an elbow, I strap it with a piece of pipe strap to prevent any pressure on an adjustable elbow. I try to use corrugated solid elbows when possible. They are much stronger and do not leak at the many joints of the adjustable type. The newer stoves have larger vent pipes made of 6 inch ID pipe that fits a normal connector pipe crimp.

P1010045.JPG Mama Bear in my cabin with Tee to cathedral ceiling.

Brown Mama Bear connection.JPG Same Mama Bear in my kitchen with added support strap.

Honetly i would look for a small more moder unit for a tiny home even the baby bear is going to be allot of stove and you will have trouble running it hot enough. Then there are the clearance issues mentioned

Thank yall. One more thing. Right now the walls are still raw and just studded in this "tiny house". I am doing the work myself. What are you guys recommendations for around and behind the stove?

You're welcome, sir! If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.